Thursday, January 15, 2009

#123-365 Go Fish

The next panel down is still fish related, so in fact follows on from yesterday's post, (Hence will be less long winded). I have already alluded to the importance of fish as a food source in this area, hence the preoccupation with it as a subject for painting. In the desert the reference to fish would be scarce, wildlife would predominate especially local food sources. So you would see more paintings of Kangaroo, Wallaby, Goanna and the like. There isn't one depicted yet on this fence but I am sure most people have heard of Budgerigars, colourful little birds that a lot of people raise as caged birds. (if not google it and you will see very pretty birds). I have seen a few around here but they may have escaped their cages. In the desert they flock in their thousands, I have been told by a member of the Pithantjara people in Alice Springs that the name Budgerigar lierally means "Native Companion" because the bird cannot survive in daylight hours more than 8 hours without water so a hunter following them is only 8 hours at most from water. Mind you no desert dweller would follow a bird for 8 hours, he would find a native bee (small black - no sting - stick a bit of spinnafix straw to it's back and either come up with water or sugar loaf (Honey)). But if your thirsty there are always Budgerigar in the desert. Here I go again getting long winded, so with my normal request for respect of the culture, and a reminder that I don't KNOW anything just what people have told me i will leave you with a couple more links in case you want real knowledge.
The first maybe just someone trying to drum up business but the photos show some desert:
http://rustytruck.blogspot.com/2007/07/bush-trip-pitjantjara-lands-nt-sa.html

The second is of an academic nature, but I think it was written by Whites so watch for bias:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/aus/ntna/index.htm

If you want the real story come to Australia and visit me in Redcliffe on your way to The Northern Territory, (The Dinky Di, Ridgy Didge, True Blue best place on Earth) I'll even carry your bags for a small stipend.

12 comments:

Edmund said...

Hi ya doin "Windy" nice post and story. My father was in Australia way back in 1944.
He said all they ate while in New Caledonia and New Guinea was mutton, mutton, and more mutton.
Eddie

Kerri said...

That is a neat fence!

Candyce said...

again a great story I like the fish very colorful! such strong cultural history just beautiful

Clara said...

This whole fence is just amazing, Ron. I love, love it.

Anonymous said...

Great photos of the art on the fence. I can hear the sounds of a didgeridoo when I look at your photos.

SysterLilli said...

I love the fence and the art work. You are lucky to have shots of it. Very useful in the photo challange. And you offer interesting reading. :)
Yes, the Gajah knows where they are heading. They go the same way every day. I think the photo is well suited for the traffic jam theme, and it was an exciting and fun experience.

Esther said...

You have such a good opportunity to share subjects that we would never come across in a normal day's events. I have always wanted to visit your great country. This type of art appeals to me.

Anonymous said...

Another nice shot, Ron!

Anonymous said...

What a great interpretation of the theme! Wonderful shot!

John said...

Nice fence. Is that a Skate on the Left?

Anonymous said...

Your series of photos and commentary on this fence is very interesting, Ron.

Anonymous said...

These shots are just great - really amazing! Hopefully, your baggage carrying charge is reasonable in light of the value of the U.S. Dollar!!