Thursday, April 23, 2009

#061-365 Companions

Here is the macro I promised of the Lorikeets, I had gone outside to photograph a small blue bug I had seen wandering around Sally's Basil in her herb garden, but he had scarpered. Because the bug was so small I had put on the 70-300mm Sigma Lens that has a macro setting which I had switched on to get the little critter at a descent size.

Turning away dejected, I became aware that the two Lorikeets were back, I think they were the same ones cause they were on the same set of branches, although the ones the other day seemed to have a redder chest plate (at least on one of them) as I approached they moved onto the same limb and started to preen themselves and each other.

I edged as close as I dared so as not to disturb them, and got so enthralled with what I was seeing through the view finder, (Still set at Macro) that I never changed the settings. It was a tad dark (not much and only needed minimal tweeking in the enhance lighting tool of PSE7, The setting for this shot were, as listed below after the settings for yesterday:



Yesterday
ISO 200
1/80sec Shutter Speed
f/5.6 F/Stop
200mm Focal Length
Flash No

Today
ISO 200
1/320sec Shutter Speed
f/5.6 F/Stop
300mm Focal Length
Flash auto Fired


When I first saw this in the computer it was thumbnail, Sally was standing behind me as I made it full screen and we both suggest viewing this at enlarged size - It is worth it.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again a beautiful colorful shot of your Lorikeets. Can't get much better than this, huh? Truly lovely. Since I don't have a camera that has a lens attached, I cannot comment as I know nothing about them. But will take your word about your macro lens.

Lorri said...

Very nicely done, Ron! Your lorikeet photos are so colorful and this one is exceptional.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Ron! The colors are brilliant............

jo said...

Oh my! How bright and beautiful!

Chesney said...

Wow, those colors and details are outstanding when enlarged. I can't get enough of these guys!

Nan said...

Exceptional! Too bad about the blue bug, but this more than makes up for it!

Anonymous said...

You're so right - the expanded imagine is just amazing! What color! Wow!

Lena Ohlén said...

Oh, this is a wonderful picture. And you must have been really thrilled and nervous when you had that nice scenery just in front of you. So lovely shot.

Kim said...

What amazing colors these birds have! Photoshop can't compete with what nature can produce! Beautiful, Ron!

Rachel said...

Just stunning. I love the close-up and again, those vibrant colors!

Brita said...

Wow! The colors are brilliant and the enlarged photo is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Ron, I think you've outdone yourself with this one. It's AWESOME! The colors & detail are amazing. I love the composition and those blurred leaves in the foreground. Outstanding!

Anonymous said...

You're so fortunate to have these gorgeous creatures hanging out in your back yard to give you such great photo ops. This one is really a winner!

lijola said...

This is the best of the lorikeets. Wonderful color and detail.

barbs said...

This is fantastic Ron! They are beautiful birds and you capture this perfectly. One of my favorite shots this month in the challenge.

mljrbg said...

Seeing them in the full size is amazing. They are gorgeous!!

Linda S said...

This is a beautiful shot. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Awesome birds and colours, very nice.

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Wow...look at those colors. Makes anything we have here in the U.S. seem a bit drab. :)

Anonymous said...

An echo of all of the above, this is outstanding! The soft leaves just add to the detail of those beautiful birds. I love this and the one below!

annalarssonphotography said...

So beautiful colors!! :)

KimR. said...

The lorikeets are so bright and colorful, I'm always amazed at them. You're fortunate to have them out in the wild, I only get to see them at the zoo! Fantastic shot!

DART said...

Vibrant. Vivid. Vonderful! : )

Anonymous said...

wonderful colors! love the lorikeets..beautiful, beautiful birds

MevetS said...

Gorgeous color. I think I light this one best of your lorikeet shots. Nice.

tterlyn said...

Well you have Outdone yourself. Absolutely gorgeous. If there were a winner I think that would be it. beautiful....High five's to you.