Saturday, January 17, 2009

#311-365 Sunrise

A break from the Aborinine art for a day or two, want to show some of the good stuff I got this week.

To me sticking to the themes is what it is all about, it's what I am learning from (And it's great fun to have a dig to the DEVIATORS but hey I wouldn't want another ME around, one is too many - Stop Agreeing SOOO FAST). But this is not actually a sunrise shot, it should be called "pre-dawn".

I had scouted out where I wanted to take the shot the day before, The Memorial to lost Sailors, the Flagstaff, the Jetty and groyne as foreground, So I got there early, (wearing a thin shirt, shorts and rubber sandles - told ya I'm mean), did a quick assessment of the light, snapped a test shot at 4.36am inspected the historam , was happy and thought I will adjust the settings as the light increases.
Stayed there until sunrise 5.17am took a few shots with the sun suspended above the horizon then went of to have a few experimental shots af the moon (Still up) through the trees and tried to snap something interesting in the rockpools nearby (with no success).
Went home fixed breakfast while booting up the computer started up PSE uploaded the shots and couldn't get past the first "Test" shot for over half an hour. After looking at all the others (most are keepers but for another use, went back adjusted the levels in "Enhance - Adjust Lighting - Levels" After drawing in the edges found it a little bright so dropped the midrange a "SMIDGE" it think that was the amount. and Voila.

Data: Nikon D70s Nikor 18-70mm lens
Shutter Speed 1/10 sec F/stop 3.5
Focal Length 18mm ISO 200

And all that went to create what I think is my most artistic photo to date, would love opinions from all.

I had hoped one particular participant (Mark not4wood) would comment, but as he hadn't I was my normal shy retiring self and bearded the lion. It appears that he was rejected as not being a registered google member. Could anyone who has experienced the same please let me know at my google address . I am going to publish Mark's comment, which I would have done if it was negative - but it's not so here goes

29 comments:

MevetS said...

Very nice composition. Interesting colors (why is the ground red?). The clouds are a bit crunchy.

Overall I like it.

Kerri said...

That's a beautiful sky! Nice capture.

Chesney said...

Ron, I do have to say this is probably my favorite shot of yours to date - it is stunning. I guess you deserve it, anyone who gets up before sunrise deserves a shot like this - do you ever sleep???

Anonymous said...

I like viewing your blog for two main reasons. 1) great interesting photos 2) with the time difference it's like looking into the future.

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Mevets: The red in the foreground was throwback from the Anti-fog street lights on the road behind me onto the dead pine needles from the Norfolk Pines that line the foreshore.

PeanutBlogger: Yes we are about 15 hours ahead of America oh and twenty or so years behind.

Anonymous said...

Ron: This was a great capture! Good composition and colors. And yes, I have to agree. Your best yet. Frame it and put it in a prominent place so you can see it all the time.

Edmund said...

Ron, Very nice shot. My you are up early it should be against the law. I guess it's the old Army Days. Tough to break old habits.
Eddie

Nan said...

Very appealing. I like the way the tree silhouettes against the sky. The colors are awesome.

Clara said...

Just beautiful, Ron. I love it. Also, there's nothing wrong with being about 20 years behind. I think that I would like to move there, sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I like this a lot, the red foreground especially (glad Steve asked about it). Well done!

mljrbg said...

Ron, I really like this one. Gorgeous colors. It would be stunning framed.

Linda aka Elemobe said...

Gorgeous sunrise.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty, Ron. Thanks for including all the shooting information...

jo said...

Soft colors -- spots of light -- beautiful, Ron!

~Val said...

Love this. I really like the repeating "cross" themes in the memorial, the sailboat masts, and the pine trees.

Candyce said...

This is gorgeous, really love the warm colors and the composition just fabulous!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful and I agree that it's your most artistic to date.
Love it!

Anonymous said...

You certainly have my "atta boy" for this one. I doubt that I will ever get a sunrise photo. I go to bed late and get up late. Effort, effort, effort ... I need to make an effort to get up early. Nice photo.

Anonymous said...

Love the colors, Ron. Nice, dedicated capture!

Mike

DART said...

Superb Shot! Love the tree silhouette and the warm colours throughout!

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

As PM'ed to me by Mark (not4wood)

Great Shot, Ron!!
I like the colors and they all add up to a very calming, relaxing place even at Sunrise.
I'm a bit surprised at your answer to the red ground. I've always heard that the ground is normally red but mostly in the summer. Is this true from where you are?

Don't do anything else to it, except to have this printed at least to a 16x20, mounted and then framed. Absolutely beautiful shot.
Mark G
--
If you want, you could add my comment on the image. All good work needs good comments to be proud of.

PatB said...

Beautiful time of the day. So many elements in this image to keep you interested. Lovely Ron!

Pennyz Image Inn said...

This is a beautiful shot. I think the best one yet.

Anonymous said...

Great shot, I'm always glad to get a keeper when I wake up that early and you've got one here. Hang it!

Sheila said...

Ron, This is stunning. My husband and I do a lot of canoe camping and I try all the time. I see many beautiful ones but they are not the easiest to capture! I agree with Mark you should do nothing but frame this one!

Sunny said...

This is definitely a print and frame photo! I agree, it is one of your best!

(And thanks for the technical information. Someday I hope to understand most of it! I'm learning! I'm learning!)

Anonymous said...

The lights and the colors in this one ar stunning. And I'm impressed that you got up that early...

Lorri said...

I'm straggling in, a coupel of days behidn on blog watching! Ron, this is a standout photo! It's interesting, colorful, well composed...it think you've covered it all!

Christina, Sweden said...

niice sunrise
remember the ones I took along the Great Ocean Ro, would love to go there again