Saturday, April 4, 2009

#305-365 Street Scene

At first sight this photo may not look much but for me, I don't think I have taken a photo with more messages and detail than this one - I am Proud of what I have been able to display in it.

Let's start with the main figure, this bloke just screams Australian Stockman, to me, when I talked to him he explained that the term Drover no longer applies as Drovers Drive stock all year, and the opportunities are no longer around for people to make a living off it, but it was what he preferred as a job.
His hat which was first prompted me to approach him was, it turned out, his Go To Town Hat, he said his work hat was in Bad Shape. He was also very disgruntled at the "Cityization" (His Word) of country towns, where a man could no longer have a beer and smoke in peace, "No Freedom Left" he said, so I commented that indeed "The Lunatics were In Charge of the Asylum Now" he said "Spot On, Can I use that" I informed him that I stole most of my good lines so why not!
In addition you can see an Aboriginal Busker plying his trade, against the Pub wall and although the guitar work was merely pedestrian, his voice had body and carried the semi religious, Aussie Country and Western songs he favoured well. I made his acquaintance, asked permission to photograph him, then made a small contribution, (far from the first that day) then proceeded to meet the man in the hat. Rather than just get the Hat I thought this is a good shot of a Rural town on a sunny day and grabbed the lot.
You can see a young Mother, introducing her child to one of the traditional owners of this land, which is a sign of respect that gives me some hope for the future, in that at least some of the children are being taught manners, as well as giving a little of their excess to someone who has none at the moment, take my word for it, that little kindness and respect will repay the Mother and Child manifold down the years. The same may not be said for the majority voice represented by the powerful looking woman striding past totally unable to see the busker and looking somewhat disdainfully at the, salt of the earth stockman who dared to smoke in public.
Mayhaps I see too many things here but would be surprised if I am not spot, on in most of my observations. I apologize (just a little) for the focus on the stockman but my attention was distracted by a giggle from the child as the busker did a little rip "Just for the child" that became MY FOCUS. if it hadn't I would have missed the striding woman and it would not have been so good a shot TO ME!

As per usual Iona who claims to be aging is sharper eyed than me, the striding woman is in fact a man, but the description holds, i just had it in my minds eye that it was a haughty woman striding past alas I was wrong, no harm done - Thanks Iona.

30 comments:

Clara said...

Oh wow, Ron this is so great. That man looks just like Crocodile Dundee. Enjoyed the story.

Anonymous said...

I can see why you're pleased by the shot, as you should be - very nice! And I see where you've stashed our sunshine that you've stolen too!

Linda S said...

Wonderful narration of the shot. The photo is perfect for street scene. Thanks for a glimpse.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ron, for such a great snapshot of life in your part of the world - and I mean both the picture and the story! Well done!

Anonymous said...

As usual, your story adds as much as the photo.

There is so much to take in, so I enlarged the photo and studied it a while. I think it is terrific. I like it a lot. I think the man in the hat is typical of what most of us think Australia should be, yet, I'm certain that Australia is not all bush and cattle. :D

That person in the striped shirt, shorts and sandals striding along - you say that is a woman?? I thought surely it was a man. Isn't that a balding head I see? hehe Regardless of the gender of the person, you can see the scowl on the face.

The child in the stroller will likely grow up to enjoy guitar music and have an affinity for Aborigines and never give a thought as to the "why" of it all. :D

Swell presentation of a little section of life in your corner of the world.

Chesney said...

Ok, tonight you won me over. This image sounds like it represents Australia at it's best. Funny you post this tonight, we all just got through watching the movie "Australia" - don't know how authentic it was, but the scenery was spectacular, and all in all it was a really good movie. I was just waiting for you to "pop" in and give us your take...

REF said...

Great street scene Ron. And did you notice the sign in the background for the New England Travel Agency. Which New England would that be?

Anonymous said...

I actually don't detect a scowl on the gentleman's face at all but if he is looking askance, perhaps it is at the photographer? ;-) People often have that reaction when they can't figure out what is of interest to the person holding the camera...

KimR. said...

So much in the shot and so much in the story you've shared to go along with it--both are very interesting!

barbs said...

Ron this is absolutely wonderful - both the picture and your narrative. You are an amazing person - Now don't get a swelled head or Sally won't know what to do with you.

Debra said...

Wonderful Street scene!!! His hat really caught my attention and his whole posture. Thanks for all the information on the guitar player, too. Always look forward to your posts!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful snap shot of street life and great story! Thanks Ron

annalarssonphotography said...

This photo is perfect for street scen!
And I agree with Clara.. the man looks a bit like Crocodile Dundee! ;)

Have a great weekend!

Linda aka Elemobe said...

Great shot, you are right, you have captured so many mini tales here.

~Val said...

This is a nice, busy street scene with lots going on! It would be great for one of the EZ challenges over at the Village because there are so many interesting things happening.

Anonymous said...

Great story with a great photo.

BobbieCoughlin said...

I've never been to Australia, but this is what I've envisioned it to be like.

Anonymous said...

Very nice! A wonderful street scene - thanks for sharing a part of your world every time you take a photo.

Brita said...

Wow! This was a great post! I also thought about the liknes of Crocodile Dundee, how could one rempt an Aussie to come to Finland...

Anonymous said...

Every picture tells a story and yours tells such a rich one. I particularly like the mother & child showing their respect to the elder. But Ron, come on! Saying he's a she...if you wear glasses, you might want to have them checked!

Anonymous said...

Hard to not repeat what's been said so thanks for a slice of life - the best part of this challenge ...

Anonymous said...

I love the main guy in the foreground. SO, I guess Auzzies really dress like that? Nice photo all round.

Candyce said...

I love how involved you get with your photos they are so personal. Thanks for sharing with all of us

Kathy said...

Well done! Great commentary and great photo! Your stockman looks like a true Aussie. I love the way you captured so much in such a fleeting moment. Great job! Clearly you are someone who sees more than the average bloke.

Sheila said...

Not much more to say except I think your interpretation is correct! You've got a great eye and a great read on the story!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful, Ron - and your commentary makes the photo. You also met some interesting people, too!

DART said...

I think I shall just take pics and have you write the descriptions for them from now on! Well done Mr. Ron, you've captured this scene brilliantly!

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Very nice...I wish I could bring myself to walk up to complete strangers and ask if I could take their photo and learn a little about them.

Edmund said...

Ron, right out of the movies. Just what have you been smoken....:) that's a man (as everyone else has pointed out) How hot was it when you took this pic? Nicely done I must admit.

MevetS said...

I'm glad Iona straightened that out ...

Excellent shot for the theme and wonderful comments to go along with it.

Thanks.