Thursday, July 16, 2009

#068-365 Cross



This theme seems preordained in so far as the post important cross for most populations of the Suothern hemispher, from the South American Continent to Africa into South East Asia, Australasia and the Micronesian and Polynesian Island chains all have age old myths concerning the Southern Cross. In addition you poor souls in the Northern Hemisphere are not permited to see it - More than fair considering that Northern skies are populated with stars have great and fanciful names depicting the mythology of a few Johnny Come Latle cultures such as the Egyptians, Greeks, the Romans and even the Norsemen. None of them going back any further than 10,000 years.

When you consider that Aboriginal Australian Culture had been naming stars for around 40 millenium or more U find it disrepectful for the Astronomers of the world (Obviously controlled by the Northerners) haven't had the courtesy to ask Aborigine, Maori, Figian, Patagonian etc Elders what they call given Astrological phenomena, and adapt the names of purely Southern, Stars accordingly. For instance the pointer stars Centauri Apha and Beta which point to the (Northern most star) of Crux (How boring is that) the five components of which are only known as Alpha, Beta, Gamma Delta and Epsilon. Nothing fancy so you don't deserve to see them we will keep them to ourselves thank you at least until the North and South Poles their once every 30 Millenium flips, I'll bet you name them when you are forced to look at the,

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I know about stars will not fill a thimble. I know the evening star (which is Venus) and the morning star (which is also Venus), the Milky Way, the big and little dippers, and that is about it. I saw Sputnik fly over a few times, but that wasn't a star. So, when you start talking about astronomy, you've lost me already.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sky! I never get to see all that beauty...to much light, but the fact that you can see and know the names of certain stars is amazing! Terrific shot!

~Val said...

I've heard about the Southern Cross in various songs, so when I visited Indonesia some years back (first trip south of the Equator) I was excited to see it! Thanks for the astronomy lesson!

Anonymous said...

Oh my stars!!! This is one of those times when you could tell me ANYTHING about those stars and I would believe you!

Linda S said...

That is about the closest that I am getting to the southern cross in the conceivable future, so I really appreciate the photo. From what I've read the northern hemisphere has got the north beat for both observation and astrophotography.

mljrbg said...

Fabulous!! Thanks for the lesson.

Pennyz Image Inn said...

It is amazing to me that anyone can pick out certain stars. Wonderful shot and an original use of the theme as well. I should be more creative with the themes LoL

lijola said...

Clever treatment of theme! And nice photos and text.

MevetS said...

I had hoped to use this as my cross theme image as well, but I got skunked on my trip to the FL Keys in February.

Glad you got it.

But you are wrong about us northerners not seeing it, as it is easily visible from Florida and south.

And the pole flip deals with the magnetic poles, not the physical poles, so no change there.