Saturday, March 14, 2009

#200-365 Nostalgia

Went back to the house I was born and raised in till mid-teens. Don't let them kid you nothing stays the same. When I lived here it was a single storey red brick house. The front Verandah was open and always used there was a large conifer in the middle of the lawn on the right - I know cause it provided the Christmas tree, every year and after I turned 11 I was allowed to harvest the top of the tree, boy do I remember the smell of rivers of sweat pouring down my body mixed with the pine needle aroma on those sweltering pre-christmas days.

A small gate is visible half way along the fence on the right hand side, and I have actual memories of walking out that gate accompanied by my (Dalmation) Dog "Patches" Yeah that's why I love Paddy. I remember crossing the road and starting down the footpath, until a man came towards me and went to pat my head, the dog took the hand in her mouth, then stood between us. I think I was less than nine months old at the time cause Patches was still a pup. I told Mum about that when I was aroud five and the whole family laughed, until at the age of 10 the local town Drunk staggered past one day and commented to Mum that he remembered running into me when I was less than knee high amd confirmed my story almost word for word.
Guess I have been a little different for a lot of years now.

Don't know what brought those two tales in particular to mind but on the drizzly day I went home -Out they popped. They didn't last though it was a different house to the one I lived in, just happened to be on the same block of land, Almost.

11 comments:

BobbieCoughlin said...

A few years ago, I went back to see the house where I lived when I was five. It's gone. But the school I went to was still there, and the schoolyard was exactly the way I remembered it.

Anonymous said...

Nice shot of a lovely house!

Okay. Let me get this straight. You walked out of the gate with Patches, crossed the road and started down the path until this man came along. He patted you on the head and Patches, protecting you, grabbed the man's arm (did he bite?). All this happened when you were 9 *months* old? And you had memories of the event which you were able to relate to your Mom at age 5?? Wow and Wow again!

Most children don't walk well enough at age nine months to navigate the entire house, much less be out of the house exploring the neighborhood and then have memories of it to tell about!!!! More Wow's!!

My first child learned to walk at 9 months, but I just thought she was a bit precocious as she did everything early. Like crying while she sat in the highchair at the dinner table pointing at something on the table she wanted. We pointed at everything on the table, until I pointed to a glass that held green onions. She smiled through her tears and nodded, "Yes." I gave her one. She chomped on it happily and has loved onions since.

Even though the house I grew up in is nothing like your house here, you have given me the "courage" to post it. It will have to go into Steve's oldies as I took the photo in 2005.

Lena Ohlén said...

Isnt it fantastic how memories kan wake up like that. I think that it was a nice story. It made me think about my early memories too.

Lena

DART said...

neat to be able to go back home--but your home description conjures up a much nicer image in my mind than the one taken! red brick...veranda...say no more! : )

Debra said...

Very interesting story; amazing how things do and don't change.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo and stories for Nostalgia. Everything changes - I like your description of how the house used to be.

Lorri said...

Nice way to illustrate the theme, Ron!

Chesney said...

Isn't it funny how when you go back to your childhood places how much smaller they look? And even funnier, the stories you remember! I had a great time going to your childhood house, I can almost see you walking down the sidewalk!

Anonymous said...

Nice photo & perfect for Nostalgia.
I'm curious about your answer to Iona's comment about remembering at 9 months!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your recollection of childhood memories. I plan to take photos of my homeplace also when I return to Georgia.

Clara said...

You always have the best stories, Ron. This was a doozy.