Monday, April 13, 2009

#004-365 A Pair of Lorikeets

A couple of postings ago I posted a shot of three of these fellows, with two in flight, some of you enquired about their colour and Julie asked for a close up. So I Grabbed my Nikon D70s with the sigma 70-300mm lens and added the 2x teleconverter so that I could get a real close up as these are really skittish birds.

I will be posting a close up of the bird on the right at a later date but thought this perfect as I think they are a mating pair as they never left one another for about a half hour that I observed and a neighbour said they came back later, with a couple of friends. This shot was taken with a shutter speed of 1/80 a f/5.6 with a 150mm focal length and ISO 200.

The day was overcast and it looked like they had been photographed backed by an overwashed greying sheet so I had a go at replaacing the sky and apart from a hint of white around the edges am faitly happy with the outcome. I had tried to get the photo in the same Golden Penda tree that I shot before but we have had a bout of wet weather here (Thank heavens as the Regions dams are now holding over 50% capacity for the first time in over 8 years) and the blooms were knocked about and are just coming back. I stepped out of the door with the awesome weapon I described above (The Camera) and they took flight, Nada, Nix Nothing, didn't have time to get them in the view finder, turned to walk back inside when I heard them chattering around the corner.

So quietly I crept around the corner and there they were sitting on top of the hedge that separates the two back units of our complex. This is strange as I had never seen them on that before and it won't be in bloom for more than 4 more months, so inch by inch I approached, clicking as I got closer as I was sure they would take flight at my approach. My first shot was at a shutter speed of 1/800 (Far too dark) then my neighbour Old Bob an 85 year old Kiwi started to say something, so I just put my finger to my lips, cause, hanging out his washing he was closer to them than I was.

He kept STUMM, I adjusted my settings and was able to get about 5 or six good shots including this one before they were off and away again. I went of to the nice old guy and apologized for my rudeness and he said "I just wanted to tell you the birds were there - He must think my eyes are worse than I thought they were. I said thanks and ones I had processed the three keepers from the bunch I printed out copies and gave him a copy as payment for his cooperation, both he and his wife loved the photos and said their grandkids would be thrilled.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your narrative had the aura of "big game hunting" about it! :D Sharing the photo with the old fellow was a nice touch.

Wonderful shot of these delightfully lovely birds. Beautiful colors and their composure was terrific. Great job on the sky exchange too.

An aside: As per your comment left on my "#82 Eating Establishments" - If you were to make a trip just to dine at the restaurant from my post, DH and I would gladly pick up the tab for the evening out with you and your lovely wife Sally. :D :D

Anonymous said...

Ron, great shot but your always creating disharmony, what gives? At least this one you took on another guy. Nice gesture to ease the difficult situation!

Chesney said...

Stunning birds - we only see birds like that in pet stores or zoos around here! I am so jealous! Love those brilliant colors - it actually looks like they were showing off for you and wanted a picture (definitely not a member of the Syster's crew). I bet your neighbor was thrilled with this!

Rachel said...

Beautiful shot. They have such great colors!

Linda S said...

These are beautiful-I agree with Chesney. I only see birds like this in a zoo.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
They are beautiful birds!! Great shot too! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

BobbieCoughlin said...

I love the vivid colors. Good job on the sky replacement.

annalarssonphotography said...

Stunning birds Ron!!
I am jealous.. Lovley colors.
I can only see birds like this in the pet store or zoos!

mljrbg said...

They are fabulous!! The colors are outstanding as is your close up. Your narratives are so detailed. Now when we come and visit you we will know our way around!!!!!

barbs said...

I wish we had birds like that here. Nice photo and as usual you got the shot even while causing all sorts of problems. I enjoy reading your blog evey day- it makes me laugh.

Anonymous said...

A stunner Ron! Love the description of the hunt too. Did you also remember to take a shot of your neighbor's laundry for theme #167? Too bad for the WoW Systers that you discovered Tammy's pelican secret - but we have other means...

Lorri said...

Brilliant vibrant colors---love them!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen these birds before and am amazed at their beautiful colors. Great close up shot, Ron.

lijola said...

The colors remind me of Painted Buntings. Your photo is beautiful - the colors are fantastic.

Katie said...

Good job! Beautiful birds....sometimes I just think it would be better if people minded their own business...we know what we're doing even if we don't look like it! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Again, lots of color! Incredible that you were able to get such a crisp close up shot!

Clara said...

Very beautiful shot. Isn't it fun to plan and execute a shot?

Anonymous said...

They certainly are beautiful birds! You've definitely done them justice...great work on the sky as well!

Kathy said...

What beautiful birds! Great shot! Your commentary is always delightful to read!

Anonymous said...

love lorikeets!! keeping 'em coming!