Saturday, August 22, 2009

#216-365 Our Town


Admitting straight off that the final photo is one that has been published before it is only there to give a reference point to this series, also note that the other shots don't have the HDR effect. Redcliffe is located on the Humpybong Creek, which although comprising the freshwater outlet when Redcliffe was chosen as the First Settlement site in 1824 (More Info Here) it is now primarily a storm-water dispersal vehicle, except to the wildlife who still treat it as a viable resource.
The first photo shows a fountain situated adjacent to the now Defunct Redcliffe Council Offices, and the second shows three types of birds disputing fishing rights over the tiddlers that inhabit the overflow from the weir that provides the lake surrounding the fountain. The third photo (In my mind the most interesting) is proof positive that the wildlife flourish in this unexpected haven right in the middle of Our Town, (Making it their Town too!)
Now I don't know what Cormorants (Shags, Snake-birds etc) you have in your neck of the woods, but ours are the common or garden variety for this locale, but when I saw this little guy by the creek I thought he was a Penguin, so I stopped and looked closer, No He is a Cormorant - But He is Obese, I find it hard to believe he can submerge to feed let alone come back to the surface.
He is proof positive that the fishing is good in Humpybong Creek, and the abundance of other fish eating birds, not to mention the multitude of tortoises and Eels that also abide there seems to back up my thoughts. Humpybong Creek is alive and well although at times not giving that appearance.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how life survives under less than favorable and even adverse conditions. These fabulous shots prove it. Love them!

Esther said...

Now, that is one fat bird. I like the green of your photos and that you show a variety of birds that frequent the water in your town. I just started shooting some photos to use as HDR. I have seen some really, really saturated images and I don't like it taken to the extreme....

Livet på Citronodlingen said...

I thought it was a penguin first aswell, but on a second thought, that would have been strange :o)

Chesney said...

I am packing my bags as I type to come see your neck of the woods, start preparing for a house guest! :) One of these days I (and my entire crew) will end up on your door step (you will probably be off on that well planned vacation) LOL

Fabulous pictures of your town! :)

MevetS said...

Nice set. I like the chubby cormorant.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of an obese bird before. Perhaps he has a glandular problem?? The HDR is still not sitting well with me. Guess it is because I've seen it taken to the excess and becomes too intensive. Yet, great shots of your fountain, birds and run-off stream.

Clara said...

These are beautiful pictures. I really like the first one with the water spraying. The HDR one is great, also.

lijola said...

Really love the fountains. but the chubby bird is great. I have been trying the HDR (posted one attempt, like the one in this posting the best of what youv'e done in HDR so far.

Anonymous said...

Nice series of shots,it truly is fun to see your part of the world. Maybe the bird was just puffing up for you.