Thursday, April 16, 2009

#266-365 Rusted.

I have hung onto this shot for some time now thinking that I would get something better but in the last few days I have snapped a few rusted items that seem to fall far short of the story this "former" engine block tells.

This is a shot I took in a Mangrove Swamp just opposite the Redcliffe golf course and it was lying pretty close to the high water mark so I am assuming that is was a marine engine, although I will accept advice from autophiles.

It seems that as the nearest road is more than a mile from where this is slowly decomposing, it would have been easier to dump it out of a boat, than lug it all the way through the tussocks of the dry mangroves. The colour was what first drew me to it as I thought that it was a rock, and a close look at the edges would seem to indicate that that is what it is becoming. But it isn't, it is an engine block.

How did I know? well much as it hurts the pride I went poking around that hole to see just what I had found, and a rat about half the size of a Corgi dog sprang out and ran into the bush. The embarrasing thing is that I shrieked just like a WoW Syster would have, and that is a scary thought for me. It was slimey and horrible and snapped at me when my nose was about a foot from my face, yetch.

Took me a little while to calm down enough to get the shot then I was out of there and I kept on hearing noise all the way back to the beach, and I haven't been back since, if any of the Systers doubt the story they can come out here and I will take them to the spot I now call the "Rat Hotel De Rust"!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing yet! LOL What a tale!! Love it. Can't state for certain about the object in the photo, but I will certainly take your word for it. Still chuckling. lol

Chesney said...

that's more scary than a horror movie! Don't think I ever want to visit "the spot"! But I do have to say, better you than me, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Lorri said...

Neat shot, Ron. I thought it was a piece of wood at first. I suppose it's an engine block, but given your rat story, it might be better listed as a "condominium." I'm sure your rat isn't the only one dwelling within.

Sunny said...

It's becoming "The Petrified Engine", photographed by the petrified photographer! (I'm still trying to picture your nose a foot from your face! Are you saying you were excessively nosy on this? Or was that a Freudian slip?)

Fascinating photo, BTW. I would not have been able to identify its origin, although I could see it was a decomposing something.

barbs said...

I never would have guessed that had been an engine block. This is a great find.

Sherrie said...

HI Dan,
I'll take your word for it, but it does look like a rock or a log. It also looks like a perfect home for a rat! They are scary critters! Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I'm shocked Ron!!! Shrieking???? Really now!!! Very cool that you are so in touch with your feminine side!!! Really observant to figure out what this is. Thanks for putting your life in danger to capture a shot for the Blogmonster!!! :)

lijola said...

Do I need to send my Indigo snake there? Glad you told us what this was, because I absolutely couldn't figure it out. Next time, take a longer stick.....with a sharp end....

Anonymous said...

Rusted AND ratty! Shrieking???? LOL At least you're man enough to admit it!! LOL It makes the shot all the more interesting! Great find!

Clara said...

I don't know what to say about this story. That is a very strange looking piece of junk. It looks like it is going back to nature. Don't go poking your nose in strange places.

Anonymous said...

No need to make reservations for me at the "Rat Hotel De Rust"! Oh, how I hate rats and other creepy things.

MevetS said...

LOL! Nice Story.

While wandering about in the NJ Pinelands I'll occasionally come upon something like that in the middle of nowhere. And I wonder, why drag it all the way out here? Why not dump it on the side of the road? Or perhaps take it to a dump?

Curious.

Anonymous said...

I spit my Wild Turkey all over the screen when I got to the part of you shreiking! Still chuckling at the image. But very impressed that you had the presence of mind and courage to stick around long enough to settle down and take this cool shot. Well done!

tterlyn said...

LOL.... Love your story. still LOL.
I thought it was a rock. nice shot.

Christina, Sweden said...

lovely photolooka more like wood than rusty metal. And, as always, nice comment and long explanation to the photo.

Brita said...

What a scary tale! Very brave of you to take the shot too.
Interesting photo and could be whatever you tell me it is.

mljrbg said...

That's too funny...as long as it was you and not me!! I actually thought it was a log but I must admit that I never would have poked around in it and if something came flying out I would have already been back on the beach. Next time check with the WoW Systers and get the proper guidance in a situation like this!!

DART said...

ROFL!!! I wish you hadn't waited to share this one!!! hahaha I am also very glad that you survived your Indiana-Jones-type adventure into the swamp!!! I would not have had a clue what that thing was, but I definitely wouldn't have gone looking for buried treasure in that hole!!!

annalarssonphotography said...

Scary tale Ron!
And as Brita said, it could be whatever you tell me it is :)

Anonymous said...

rat hotel, ehhh. hugh snapping rats would probably get me jumping too! it's okay to scram like a girl when a large rodent is trying to make lunch of your face!!