Tuesday, September 15, 2009

#152-365 Hours, Days, Months and Years


I sat on Mount Cootha for hours and hours, last Saturday in the month of September to bring you these photos of the combined Brisbane and Riverfire Festivals which this year celebrates Queensland's sesquicentenary 150 Years of settlement, (That takes care of the theme title)!

This is one of the Biggie Festivals in Brisbane each year and always attracts big numbers, and in so far as the two festivals have been combined it was thought that numbers would be up on previous years, so I got up on Mount Cootha early, and picked what I thought was a good site. My estimate would be about 5-6,000 people up on the mountain, as the carpark takes only about 150 cars, and it took an hour to clear the park after the event finished, I imagine the access roadsides were packed with illegal parkers. When we all left about half the number stayed on to Party well into the night, more power to them, I needed some sleep!

I will be showing some shots that I got during daylight hours as soon as I can think of appropriate themes. In addition I will be showing some of the shots that went into these collages with slightly different processing in my Elements Village Gallery, so If you want a closer look just give me some time to get them into my Gallery.

Today's post (and tomorrow's) is an attempt to show the action that went on during the half hour Fly Past and Fireworks display, Today I am dealing with the start of the display and tomorrow with the Finale. The display was triggered at 7.30pm with a fly over of the Brisbane River and Central Business District by two F111 bombers from the nearby Amberly RAAF Airbase. This event triggered the commencement of the Fireworks Display which was effected from between 6 and 8 barges strategically floated into position on the River, plus a display from the Story Bridge, which was shielded from view by City Buildings so I didn't get to see that except later on television.

The photos all have a number below them which depicts the order in which they were shot, but not necessarily indicating the sequences of the shots as I did have some failures both from focusing difficulty and impatience (Thinking the camera had not activated the shutter- Motion Blur) and the failures have generally been culled. So as you view these please pay a little attention to the numbers to keep the order going, there are a lot of shots , let me know if you think it is too many. As I feel the layout does the job I wanted to do and I had fun creating my own custom Frame Layouts. Enjoy

11 comments:

Clara said...

That is gorgeous, Ron. Great work capturing the fireworks.

Livet på Citronodlingen said...

Those pics are GRRRREEAAAAT!!!

Chesney said...

I just saw one you posted over at the village and it was gorgeous! Love your layouts, love your pictures, and especially love those city lights (although you would have had a much better view from the broomstick - without the hassle of the traffic)! :)

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Tammy said "You would have had a much better view from the broomstick - without the hassle of the traffic" but she forgot about the F111 Bombers, does her broom reach Mach 1 to allow me to get away from the Air Traffic. LOL

Chesney said...

LOL, you got me there - you would need one fast broom stick (and a fire proof uniform)!! :0

Anonymous said...

Ron- these are some beautiful night shots. So sharp and every light is just sparkling.

lijola said...

Really nice job on all of these. Very clear and crisp shots.

lijola said...

Oh, I believe that broomsticks do have the right of way.....

Anonymous said...

You're to be commended for your patience in staking out your place to get these great shots! My patience in shooting fireworks extends to setting up chairs in my backyard each July 4 so I can see the show that takes place at the golf club 3 streets over! Lovely photos!

Anonymous said...

These shots are fabulous! Those lights are amazing....they're glowing!

Anonymous said...

So well shot and some fine theme wrangling on this tough one.