Wednesday, January 28, 2009

#259-365 Repeating Pattern

It's not the number of blossoms that give the repeat, it's that the star motif on this Hoya is repeated three or four times on each blossom.

For those not knowing what a Hoya is here is the Wikipedia quote.

Hoya is a genus of 200-300 species of tropical climbing plants in the family Apocynaceae (Dogbane), native to southern Asia (India east to southern China and southward), Australia, and Polynesia. Common names for this genus are waxplant, waxvine, waxflower or simply hoya. This genus was named by botanist Robert Brown, in honour of his friend, botanist Thomas Hoy.


I myself have very little interest in Horticulture and can only quote one authority on the matter; Dorothy Parker (A Girl after my own Heart) whos is reported to have said.

Horticulture - "you can lead a hor ti culture, but you can't make her think" and as needs must that is more than enough for me.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like hoyas but I killed mine last year. :-( You caught the repeating pattern nicely...

Anonymous said...

Nice stars.

Happy Australia Day!

Bo

Anonymous said...

Very interesting plant - I've never seen one of these before. You nailed the repeating pattern.

Rachel said...

They are beautiful! I've never seen hoyas before. Great photo!

Debra said...

I was not familiar with the hoya until my gardening magazine arrived yesterday with an article about them. Great photo of the repeating stars.

SysterLilli said...

Very good photo. Love the pattern. Hoyas are wonderful. Have a few myself. But some of them have a very sweet, heavy smell when they bloom.

Lorri said...

Nice observation on the multiple repeating patterns in this image!

BobbieCoughlin said...

The stars within stars do make an interesting pattern.

Chesney said...

Great repeating pattern, this image is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

As a gardener for hire (aka plant slut) that's my all time favorite quote! Oh yeah, nice photo...

Anonymous said...

A great choice for repeating pattern
Another goodie from Dorothy;

By the time you swear you're his,
Shivering and sighing,
And he vows his passion is
Infinite, undying
Lady, make a note of this;
One of you is lying.

Madelaine

Clara said...

Very nice Ron. I love the monochronmatic tones.

terricreates said...

Like the pattern a lot, beautiful flowers.

DART said...

such a beautiful plant...it's a shame it doesn't grow around here! you've photographed it beautifully...

Anonymous said...

Nice shot, Ron. You've even captured the fuzziness of the flowers. Great interpretation of the theme.

mljrbg said...

Very interesting flower. Great shot!!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

Edmund said...

That plant really looks great. Never seen one before.