Friday, April 24, 2009

#248-365 Quaint or Quirky

This one requires a bit of explanation and background. I live on the Redcliffe Peninsula in South East Queensland. This is a Paradise like area in which to live. You have seen the third bridge (Currently under construction) in a previous post, but Public Transport is restricted to Bus and Bus alone. I think it was in the first decade following Noah's flood that the politicians started promising to extend the rail link onto the peninsula (Maybe a little after that)

The catch-cry of many an Election in this area has rang to promises of constructing Redcliffe Railway Station, but you know my opinions of politicians, I think it was Johnathon Swift who stated that any man who can get two blades of grass to grow where only one has grown before, has done more for the advancement of humanity than all the politicians in the Entire History of the Entire Earth, and basically I agree with him. So in my opinion Pigs WILL FLY before Redcliffe gets its Railway Station.

But as the great Jewish prelate stated "The greatest plans of Mice and Men, gang aft agley" You may remember him as Rabi Burns (Robert Burns - Its a Joke Joyce) I was walking down a street that I have walked down before, but not while observing as this challenge has taught me to do - and what do I find - Redcliffe Railway Station In all its glory. Later that day I informed about thirty local residents and aside from being met with total disbelief, I was on no less than three occasions called a liar to my face. But Its true - Pictures don't Lie (well not in this case anyway.)

The owner of the property John was a former Railway worker who on his retirement took it on his own bat to construct this much needed commodity Right in his own Front Yard. He and his mate Dave do a wonderful job of upkeep as you can see ably assisted by the station cat Garfield. The rail is genuine as are the sleepers and all of the signage (Save perhaps the Station Name) and signals seem genuine to. All the essential are provided including a water tower to service steam engines should they ever come back into fashion.

John tells me that he had a Morris Minor Motorcar that had been adapted for rail to service workers on the track, and when he left it came with him, he told me that it sat in his front yard until the body became so rusted out that it was becoming somewhat dangerous. Being reluctant to just part with it so put an ad in a paper and a car enthusiast paid him $500 to take it way. John had a website that showed the history of the work they under took but it appears to have slipped through the cracks of out Telecommunications conglomerate and is no longer available. If he is able to send me some of the photos etc, I will post them as an addendum to this post, I hope he can find them, cause I love things like this, that are so Quaint or Quirky.

17 comments:

jo said...

Trust Ron to find the Queensland Quirks!

Chesney said...

Oh, so perfect for this theme, and love the story behind it all! Maybe someday.....

Nan said...

What a terrific find! John just goes to prove that if you want something done right(at all, if you're talking government), you have to do it yourself. Looks like you blended several pictures so we could see the whole thing better--nice job.

John said...

Quaint and Quirky... Nailed it. Rabi Burns.. Groan! Haggis can't be kosher.

Sunny said...

Works well for the theme! (Interesting inset of the little cat.) Odd photo!

mljrbg said...

Great story with a happy ending...well almost happy!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Haggis aren't kosher! Great story and fun shot, Why isn't anyone surprised that you happened upon this.

~Val said...

I liked both the story and the picture-in-picture effect. I'm learning so much about your area of the world - very cool!

Anonymous said...

Was it just observing on this walk, or is it one of your few during a day of sobriety? In any event I'm glad your eyes were open enough to find this one - quaint and quirky indeed!

Brita said...

What a great story to the theme.

Sherrie said...

Hi Ron,
Awesome photo! Looks like the real thing to me! I'm not an expert or anything, but I would believe you! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

Yep. Quaint or Quirky all right! Just like someone I know. Great theme catch. Looking forward to more photos.

Esther said...

We lived in San Francisco Bay Area town--East Bay. For the 27 years we lived there, we paid tax so that the BART train could be built to our area. We moved away 9 years ago, but it has still never been built. It seems like people on the West Bay Peninsula thought they should get one first; never paid a cent in tax, you understand.....

annalarssonphotography said...

Perfect for this theme Ron and I love the story behind it! :)

Anonymous said...

Quirky is a perfect description & wonderful story!

DART said...

Quirky indeed! Hope the station cat gets paid well for his time! : )

Clara said...

Totally neat. I love it.