Monday, June 22, 2009

#321-365 The Good Old Days

After shooting the hands I went through the Foyer to get a shot of the Brisbane Story Bridge, and having snapped that turned to get a shot of some more reflections in the surrounding buildings, when I heard an unfamiliar sound, turned back and Voila was catapulted back to a by-gone age.

Australia's largest River (Now in sharp decline) The Murray, was extensively navigated by Paddle Steamers to transport both wool and grain crops until the Railways put them out of business. Now they are part of the tourist trade only, but here are some slides of Murray River Paddle Steamers if you are interested.

I followed the rules of taking a shot then turning 180 degrees to try and get a reflection but the platform I was on was well above the river level so all I saw was sky, still I feel that this is a good representation of what life should have been when we all had more time for it - Back in "The Good Old Days"!

11 comments:

Chesney said...

Doesn't the slower pace of the good ol' days sound wonderful sometimes? What a great way to depict the theme!

Kim said...

Wonderful shot! But where are all the partiers???

Sunny said...

I've seen paddleboats on a river in Louisiana, but I think that one's much larger. It's a marvelous photo. Just don't lose your shirt if you visit it! (The ones in Louisiana are gambling boats!) ; )

Anonymous said...

Great shot! There aren't many of those around. I know there's one in St. Louis but it's a restaurant and doesn't move. Wait, I think I see Maverick on your paddle steamer!!

mljrbg said...

Neat shot!! I think it would be fun to go on a paddle steamer and slow down and relax!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely picture for the theme, and I agree with Chesney - sometimes that slower pace sounds great!

Clara said...

Love the paddle boat. It is much larger that the ones you see here. Great photo.

Anonymous said...

That is really a big paddle wheeler, I like the contrast between the vessel and the very modern crane in the background. Good eye Ron!

Esther said...

One of the trips my DH wants to take is the paddleboat trip up the Columbia River between Washington and Oregon. Unfortunately, it is very expensive. We'd have to win the lottery, and that is hard to do because we don't buy any tickets....

Anonymous said...

It does evoke thoughts of the good old days - from what I've read of course, not what I know of experience like you Ron!

MevetS said...

Yeah, I'm with Kim in wondering where all the passengers are?

We have/had one around here that was a restaurant. I'm not sure if it is still in business.