Monday, June 15, 2009

#275-365 Sense of Motion

This is the result of one of my failures, a couple of days ago I tried a hand=held shot of the moon which had a huge fault, so I turned to trusty old Elements Village to find out what I had done wrong and as per usual go great answers and some encouragement (This is the Thread), which spurred me to have another go.

This shot shows the Moon and what I believe is Mars in a cloudy sky, and was taken a tad before Midnight. I had the F/Stop set at 5.6, the ISO was 200, Focal Length 50mm for an exposure of 30 seconds. I had set up the flash to fire so as to highlight the foreground, and to my eye the clouds hardly moved.

Well as you can see the camera saw it differently, and I for one like the effect, it's most likely wrong but a photo of me will show I don't care. As for the theme it is on a myriad of levels that I feel this works, firstly the clouds moved, in the elapsed time the earth had rotated 16.4 kilometres under the Moon, The Earth also spins around the Sun at around 64,000 kilometres an hour, and the Sun travels through space at about 35,000 Kilometres an hour, so if that isn't a sense of Motion. You people are too hard to please.

But if that isn't enough for you Wait - Theres more!
The guy on EV who helped with the technical details of my Faux Pas thought that his brilliance and alacrity gave him the right to disparage an Australian Icon "Vegemite" I put him straight, but would suggest for those that want more try a big heaped tablespoon of Vegemite, it should give you all the "Sense of Motion" you desire!

There was another theme from last night's shot, but you have to wait for that, the Vegemite will keep you occupied.

16 comments:

jo said...

Nice effect, Ron. I may try some experiments like that tonight if the weather cooperates.

Anonymous said...

No mental gymnastics to figure out your choice of theme this time. :-) I think it is a pretty cool shot and for a photography challenge, what better way to demonstrate 'sense of motion' than by showing a clouds moving under a long exposure.

But, I can't resist asking - what about Lee's advice not to overexpose the moon? I gather you are still aiming to get a decent shot of the moon (rather than a shot of moving clouds) and I'm curious whether his recommended 1/1000 shutter speed did the trick for you.

Chesney said...

I like that effect too - turned out very dramatic!

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

If you want another fun way to bringing some light into the foreground instead of the flash bring a good flashlight. While your shutter is open shine the flashlight on the areas you want illuminated in the foreground (ie. light painting).

You can paint in the entire area or play a little and only highlight certain things.

Nice shot and it reminds me that I need to do more night photography :)

Debra said...

A wonderful sense of motion of the clouds. The moon is such a challenge!

Clara said...

Well, I like it, Ron. People do try to take pictures of the star tracks in the sky. I think that you succeeded in doin that.

Candyce said...

This is an awesome shot. I live only 15 miles west of NYC so the lights are so bright that we don't get a nice evening sky....when I drive more west to my sisters it's like another world- I can't wait to try this

Anonymous said...

I think it turned out beautifully....nice work!!
Didn't Lucy sell that vegemite stuff? lol

Anonymous said...

Way to keep at it Ron. Trial and error, my best teacher.

Anonymous said...

Awesome effect Ron! I like how dramatic the picture turned out.

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes the joy of trying something new and getting results you like is as important as the end resulting photo itself. Glad to see your perseverence resulted in this nice motion shot!

Anonymous said...

You certainly managed to capture an interesting shot - which is what this is all about!

Anonymous said...

It all about play and experimenting, I like the effect you got, Vegemite on the other hand...

mljrbg said...

Very interesting shot!! That one of my favorite Lucy episode...Vetavitavegamin!!

Anonymous said...

Great shot Ron. No shots are wrong if you like them! Experiments sometimes are the best. Love the color and the motion of the clouds. I need to get out my tripod more.

MevetS said...

Hmmm ... I'm not sure about that explanation of the halo. It looks light a pure overexposure effect to me. Internal reflections would have given you a second moon image.

The key thing to remember is that the moon is in broad daylight, so adjust your exposure accordingly. It is always noon on the part of the moon you can see, harsh overhead light.

And use a tripod. Or you'll get a different type of motion. :-)