Monday, July 6, 2009

#261-365 Risky "Bit of an Opus I'm afraid"








Went to the "Paniyiri" Greek Festival in Brisbane yesterday and saw some wonderful sights which I hope to share with you in the coming days, the most memorable of which -for my money- was this "The Slingshot" I reckon that if the Greeks had had this during their little tiff with Troy, no one would have heard of a wooden horse.

The first photo shows how I first espied it and thought I might use it for "Futuristic", the second shows the apparatus and attendants at rest, still fairly innocuous methinks. The third shows the capsule (or whatever) now I'm starting to get a little edgy, that thing looks like a well upholstered torture chamber device to ME!

The next six series of shots are some what of a compilation, as I was taken aback by the rapidity of the actions that followed and really snapped on the second and third bounce, but I feel it is fairly close to what occurred and I witnessed. As they were unloading their victims one of the attendants tried to entice me to become such a said "VICTIM". I politely informed him (while backing off deliberately) that, there were two reasons why I wouldn't, the first being that I thought the $30.00 Fee was too steep for my deep pockets and secondly that the cleaning cost would be sure to exceed the ride fee by a large amount. Don't tell him that the third (and undisclosed) reason was the basic Ochre hue of my spinal cord will you. - THAT's RISKY!

12 comments:

Chesney said...

Great images, but I hate to tell you, looking at them makes me SICK!!

lijola said...

The colors are really terrific in this series. I am not too keen on these "rides" either.

Esther said...

I like that first photo...food! then the ride..... I wouldn't want to be right under this one. I'm not about to get on one of these things. You caught the action just fine, but it looked like the stone in that slingshot is coming right out of the photo toward you!

Debra said...

Oh, your wonderful photos made me feel a bit ill. I'm not sure I could have even snapped the camera.

Anonymous said...

My favorites here are the final five, which in themselves tell the full story of the thrill of the ride. I love the colors and the fantastic sky. Also the inclusion of the ferris wheel is just enough to give the sling ride a sense of place and also height.

(I hope you found something more Greek than hotdogs and hamburgers at this Greek fest.)

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully colorful shots, Ron. You've succeeded in capturing the reason I dread these kinds of rides!

Anonymous said...

I'm right there next to you Ron - not in the seat - backing away! Risky and stomach-turning, definately not my cup of tea. But a really super series of shots to capture the daring escapades of others.

Anonymous said...

A very nice series. I love rides like this but I too am curious about the food. No gyros?

Brita said...

Wonderful shots but I would never dream on sitting in that thing. The colors are beautiful yet again.

mljrbg said...

You captured this ride perfectly in it's varying stages of fright!! I do have to say it is very colorful but way to scary.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Chesney - beautiful images but they make me seasick. ;o)

Anonymous said...

These are the most amazing, colorful & fun images! Love the colors, the sense of motion, the composition and that gorgeous sky! Spectacular!!!!