Wednesday, May 13, 2009

#064-365 Control

On the day I took my Quaint or Quirky shot of Redcliffe Railway Station (Not), I also snapped this page securely affixed to a brick fence, behind perspex, with no explanation to ellucidate me on its intentions or significants, must have been a day for quirky I think.

I initially intended to post it as comedy, but thought I would wait until I had a similar shot showing the Sheepdog Trial results that named all but two guilty. So I had to come up with another theme and control came to mind for a variety of reasons.

Firstly these are Eye-Dogs, meaning they think that they are able to Hypnotize the sheep, I think the sheep are just tacken aback by their confidence. Secondly when they are working, the amount of control the Shepherd can maintain with just a whistle or single hand movement is astounding. But mainly the image above brought to mind "Dog" the main character of a comic strip from New Zealander Murray Ball, called "Footrot Flats" as the above cartoon shows the dog's view of it's own ability.

One of my favourite of these strips is the one where the dog takes shelter during a heavy downpour under "Wal's" raincoat and comes out later thinking to it self, "Don't they pong when they get wet. Try enlarging the photo to see my point.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great shot, funny cartoon, and a theme interpretation up to your unique standards!

Anonymous said...

Definitely a unique and creative take on this theme! I love it!

mljrbg said...

I don't think I can add too much more than Julie said!!

Chesney said...

I am speechless, only you could come up with this one, Ron! I am forwarding this over to my parents (who share their home w/ 2 border collies)!! You make me laugh!

~Val said...

VERY clever interpretation of the theme! Love the cartoon - the sheep's expressions are priceless!

Here in our town, our park district brings in border collies to control the Canadian goose population that clogs and messes our riverside bike/walking path every spring. Cool dogs!

Anonymous said...

Fun shot, funnier explanation!

Debra said...

Perfect! And a very humorous cartoon.

Anonymous said...

Very fun and funny - with the added bonus of great color and texture to the bricks when enlarged.

Christina, Sweden said...

Love that picture and the story around as well. Seems to be a fun cartoon. As i live with dogs and close to dogs with sheep I get a good laugh and pass it on to my Swedish sheeptrial friends ;-)

Clara said...

Fun shot, Ron. A very funny cartoon.

Rachel said...

Great catch and I think it's perfect for the theme.

annalarssonphotography said...

What a creative take on this theme Ron! Lovley :)