Friday, March 6, 2009

#227-365 Past it's Prime

No Tammy and Karen this is not a self portrait, it is just a small corner store that must have seen brighter days, I saw this when Sally and I pulled over just outside Newcastle NSW, where the Power Station I photographed is located.

The Sign says "Browns Garage" Circa 1875, now I made no effort to verify the date but the shape of the shed behind the store, gave indications that it could have been a barn or some such building which over the years had been patched and improved as the role of the establishment tried to keep pace with the times.

To give some validity to the date, the only thing that comes to mind is the fact that it is around that time that an American called Freeman Cobb, came to Australia and set up Cobb& Co Coach company, which although starting primarily in the Victoria Gold Rush region, soon developed a widespread network that incorporated most of the then Australian Colonies.

This could have been one of the staging posts that were set up to support the coach line which from the look of its weathered and broken down signage tried everything imagineable to stay viable. From what I could see across the road, the removed Petrol pumps were more likely the old single pump bowser recently posted by Mike -mrod at his a momentago blogsite. It seems though that it eventually succumbed as I saw no evidence of commercial use more recent than two years previous.

A link to a website with information on Cobb & CO is at
http://www.cobbandco.qm.qld.gov.au/history/earlydays.asp

A TV show called Whiplash imported Peter Graves of Mission Impossible fame to play one Christopher Cobb, and it was a rollicking good show at a time when American Westerns were the real culture of us Aussie kids, a link for this is at
http://www.classicaustraliantv.com/whiplash.htm

Aha back in stride!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite the old relic, isn't it? Nice one for the theme. Too bad the old pumps aren't still there....

Anonymous said...

What an interesting story, Ron! Seeing a gas station claim to be circa 1875 gave me a double-take. And this is far too run down for me to mistake it as a self-portrait. ;-)

Chesney said...

Great picture and explanation behind it, but the self portrait would be much more exciting! LOL

mljrbg said...

It's not a self portrait...I'm so disappointed!! Love the photo,great job. Sure looks hot there!!

Anonymous said...

Great photo Ron! I like the composition and of course, your commentary! Peter Graves...he's still around! I remember him very well from Mission Impossible. I'm going to check out your link. Thanks for sharing it!

Lorri said...

I expected to see a photo of you for this theme, Ron, but this one is a great substitute. I love the information you include with your photos; I'm learning so much about your little slice of the globe.

Anonymous said...

I like the way the sign has the top half blown out. Lots of Coke Ads! Good angle for photo.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm - looks like they haven't painted since 1875 - but it's a cool photo just as it is. A very nice capture. I'm still looking forward to that self portrait (afterall, my pic of you is rather old). But I wonder what theme you will use for yourself.... Wholesome? Gentle? Perhaps Risky! Just don't use yourself to illustrate Passion - we have to keep this rated for all viewers you know...

Debbie said...

Great photo for the theme. I see a phone number on the sign, maybe I'll give a call and see if it is open for service! I love the old barrel in front of the store!

Anonymous said...

Don't think I can top any of the previous comments, but needless to say, it is a wonderful photo and it fits the theme perfectly.

Sunny said...

Great for the theme! Hey, great photo with or without the theme!

SysterLilli said...

Oh, I have looked forward to see a self portrait... But this old station will have to do. Great angle and interesting story as usual. :)

Anonymous said...

What a cute, quaint place. I can certainly see it as a gas station, and I love the transformation. Also, your photo is sharp!

Anonymous said...

Great shot...lots of interest! It looks like a fun place to explore.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding, Ron! I kept finding for more details the longer I looked. Bet there's a few stories within those walls! ~Mike

Anonymous said...

Great image. Great story! Thanks Ron

Anonymous said...

There is lots of great detail in this shot, well done and keep the stories coming. It's so fun to see your part of the globe.