Monday, August 31, 2009

#147-365 Help Wanted

It really is gladdening to come across a situation that you proud to be an Aussie. I told you yesterday that I went to the Eumundi Markets, while there I saw this wonderful stand of Didgeridoos along with a whole array of Aboriginal Artifacts and souvenirs in this stall. The Lady that you can see came out and went into the spiel informing me (and I am passing it on) that there are more Didgeridoos currently out in the world being played than there are Guitars. I made the appreciative sounds this knowledge required, then asked how she got into selling these wares? She smiled and replied "By owning the store next door" (See it? the one called, Excess Baggage Noosa).
It seems that the stall owner was sick that day and she had opened up for him and was doing the selling (and dusting) for him. I asked to take her photo so that I could tell this tale of a "friend indeed" but she claimed shyness, I expressed disbelief in a shy salesperson, who could handle her neighbours spiels as well as she handled her own, but this shot of her dusting with head turned is the best she could come at. The owner eventually turned up (He had to pay the rent on the stall) but was no the phone for the half hour that I hung around and I didn't get to talk to him, but was really anxious that this little tale of Folks helping Folks needed to be told, and the fact that it could be done accompanied by a colourful photo too, is a bonus. Help was at Hand!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like my photo #144 Hats and the one before it, when a person turns their backs or otherwise keeps their face from showing, I start to wonder all kinds of things. Nice that this gal volunteers to run the neighbor's shop too. And nice that you tell her story. Certainly colorful.

~Val said...

Nice story - and I really like the composition and processing on this photo. It's busy, but not too busy. Pretty fab!

Anonymous said...

The colors and composition are absolutely wonderful! Love the story as well!

Clara said...

This is a great story. I also love the details in this picture. It is a very good photo.

Anonymous said...

The king of stories, I wonder if she's telling the whole story and I agree a shy salesperson could be holding something back.

Chesney said...

I have to give it to you, this is just a feel good image and story, wish there were more like it!!

Anonymous said...

What a great story and equally great shot. There are so many interesting things to look at in this one. Very nice.

jo said...

As always, you've come up with a great story to tie in the theme! It's a nice colorful shot as well...

Livet på Citronodlingen said...

You see, there are still a lot of good hearted persons out there, it is just hard to find them sometimes. Stories like this warms!

Anonymous said...

This is far more interesting than a staged face-on shot. In my view, you're lucky she was shy with the camera...

Anonymous said...

Your processing really emphasizes the instruments!

lijola said...

Like your processing - great colors!

Anonymous said...

Very colorful photo - and a great story to accompany it, as usual.

Anonymous said...

I agree - I like the "action" shot of her dusting with her head turned away from the camera - it tells more of the story than if she had just posed there because she's' integrated with the scene instead of just standing in it.