Wednesday, March 11, 2009

#282-365 Signs, Signs everywhere a Sign.

This is the traffic light structure that adorns, the junction of The Hume Highway, Henry Lawson Drive (Named after one of Australias Great Writers Henry Lawson Wikipedia Page)and Villawood Road. Locally this structure has always been called the Mecanno Set, but in my early Army days it had constituted both a welcome and sad sight. It is in fact Australia's version of All roads lead to Rome.

You can see in the signs that to the left is the main road to Sydney, to the right Liverpool (this extends down to Melbourne and all points West) straight on is Milperra, which leads to the South NSW Coast, and an alternate route to Melbourne. Behind is Villawood Road which leads to Parramatta that extends to Brisbane and all points North.

As a 17 year old soldier I used to regularly hitch-hike the 1000 kilometres each way Melbourne to Sydney (at least twice a month) and seeing this structure meant that I was home (Sydney) having travelled along the only good thing to come out of Melbourne (The Hume Highway(Named after the first Australian born Explorer Hamilton Hume Wikipedia Page)), and returning was also signified by it's receding behind me as I headed South to report back for duty. It isn't the way I would choose to travel now but back in those days I was young strong and supremely self-confident - I WAS BULLETPROOF. Don't feel quite that confident these days, but if I hadn't hitch-hiked I wouldn't have seen what I saw or done what I did, then I wouldn't be me.

The Hume Highway was the first one called Highway "1" now all the state roads have been linked to create a Highway "1" that sort of encompasses the Nation or the National Highway as it is termed. Over time I have touched on most of those roads, but have never done a circumnavigation of my own Nation (A Personal Shame) but if time allows and circumstance provides the wherewithall I may do it one day and this could be the training session for the trip photos. Hey even us Lunatics are allowed to dream.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,Ron! Even though it is a bit confusing, it is certainly one busy intersection. Great that you still live where things like this bring back good memories for you. Good photo, and thanks for the story. Yes, we can all dream, even us old folks! :D

~Val said...

Ron, I always enjoy the commentary with your photos, and this busy intersection is no exception. This looks like a place where confused tourists would be wishing for a GPS.

jo said...

What a great way to show the directions at an intersection.

Anonymous said...

Ron, that is really an unusual sign configuration at this important intersection. I, too, used to hitchhike - in France, where I spent a year abroad studying. Thought nothing of it then!

Chesney said...

That is way too confusing for my simple brain, I would be lost over 3/4 of the time with all of those signs! LOL Super image to illustrate the theme!!

Sunny said...

Amazing, isn't it, the things that hold special memories for us? That's a really nice photo, made great by the story behind it. (But I don't know how much I'd like it to be driving through it for the first time! ;) )

Anonymous said...

Great story and really busy place!
I like the fact that you knew you were home when you saw this structure...especially after a long trek. Oh, by the way, you did mean Liverpool, GB, right? : )

Anonymous said...

Are small silver sedans a favored vehicle for drivers there? Seem to be in abundance in this shot...

Perfect shot for this theme, I must say...

BobbieCoughlin said...

Nice to know Australian traffic is a zooey as ours.

I understand your longing to corcumnavigate Australia. I have take the train from coast to coast here in the US; but I'm still trying to convince my husband that we need to drive it with our camper.

Linda S said...

Great image. I would be overwhelmed in minutes.

DART said...

Neat to see, but it looks confusing to me...especially cuz they're driving on the wrong side of the road too! (or maybe we do...whatever the case, I'd have to be a passenger! lol)

SysterLilli said...

That is a great shot, but a bit confusing for me.
I learned something, you have a Liverpool in Australia. I had no idea. :)