Wednesday, March 4, 2009

#019-365 Backlighting

This is another of the shots I took at Rookwood Cemetry in Sydney, this Protestant Church has a magnificent set of Angels depicted on its roof and the statue of Gabriel on the bell tower was outstanding although hard to photograph from ground level with the sun low in the sky. I will post a couple of shots more including a closeup of Gabriel from my cemetry visit, just deciding on themes.

I like this shot where I used the Church to bloke out the strong sunlight and to my untrained eye it seems to give the whole structure and in particular the angelic statues a sense of forewarning. As if Glory days are just on the other side of the church, you know eternity is just on the horizon. I don't know much about these things but that is what I get from this photo, would love your comments, all of them.

16 comments:

jo said...

Hmmm...the backlighting leaves the church sort of shadowed, but the colors are rich and subdued. I like it.

Anonymous said...

I like the architecture of the building. The angels are beautiful, but the symbolism is not all that significant to me in my religion. I also like the play of sunlight on the palm and the tip of whatever it is that Gabriel is carrying. Nice shot.

terricreates said...

Very nice, love those old churches and their architecture. WOuld love to see close ups of the details. Great job.

mljrbg said...

Nice shot Ron. I'm really enjoying the virtual tour of your trip.

John said...

Angels and Bell Towers. You got me wondering about "The Other Side"

Brita said...

I love this photo! Such a beautiful and soothing feeling.

And the thing you asked about, that's a well. I really should have turned that photo...
=)
Thanks for your comments and have a nice day!

Anonymous said...

Nice photo Ron. Old churches make great subjects for photos. Backlighting puts lots of emphasis on the angels. Would have been interesting to try a fill flash too.

Debbie said...

I like the angle at which you took the picture. I think a silhouette would be very interesting of the statues on the top of the church! Strong looking structure!

Clara said...

Good perspective. The natural gradient in the sky is beautiful.

Kim said...

Nice perspective!

Anonymous said...

Very nice - I really like the pinkish glow coming from behind the church. I like the angle of the roof line too.

Anonymous said...

I like the colours and textures(deep blue roof), and the perspective, too. Very nice shot.

Chesney said...

How glorious - looks like the angels are singing! What a beautiful image - you captured it perfectly!

Sunny said...

I really like the angle at which you took the photo. Really shows the scope and grandeur of the church, while the backlighting and shadows give it a bit of mystery. Impressive shot.

Anonymous said...

This is such creative idea for backlighting! The bit of green hanging down adds a nice perspective and love the statues silhouetted against that beautiful sky!

Candyce said...

Beautiful colors in the sky nice capture