Saturday, July 4, 2009

#260-365 Rest in Peace



These two shots were taken on my Sydney trip, way back when and I was tossing up between these two ornate looking plots that indicates strongly that the persons buried there were deeply revered. but I had a choice of two gravesites and couldn't decide. Recently I have been playing around with the Pseudo HDR Effect that Jeff Perry posted on the EV site and just as an experiment played around with these photos, the effect just did not work on the right hand shot but I like the end result of the left hand one. I will admit that Sally does not like this effect in the least, but a painter friend of hers is coming today and hopefully he will have the time to explain some arty apects to me!

Sally's thoughts are that the photo looks just like things really are/were/should be, when I use the effect then to my eye, yes things are exaggerated and make things pop out, like in a vivid OIL Painting, and as I can't paint in the least, this is as close as I will ever come to being able to paint. Any comments would be welcome bearing in mind that for this shot I tempered the effect out of respect.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm fascinated by this cemetery which is unlike any I've seen. I also like how your zoom compressed everything so that the grave markers look so close together. They even provide chairs, conveniently stacked and at the ready for visitors?

I'm not familiar with the effect you used so will let others comment on that.

jo said...

The hdr image is too colorful for me -- I like the out-of-camera look more.

lijola said...

Kudos for trying the effect. You have to give it a try. The left is too bright for me, so I would probably tone it down some.

Chesney said...

Love the out of the camera shot - so unique from what I have seen!

Anonymous said...

You can tone down the garishness of the color by playing with the vibrance slider. I tried Jeff's technique and found increasing it to the recommended 100 gave some bizarre results. But, on the other hand, it all depends on what you want to achieve.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that shot on the left is definately intense. I was thinking it must be Elvis or Liberace buried there! I'll have to check into that effect. I do like the more natural effect, though I can see where the psudo-HDR could be fun with certain themes.

Anonymous said...

I love the both of these shots. I do agree with Sally about the one on the left though. Maybe because the colors are too bright or maybe it's just a matter of personal taste? Whichever....I prefer the OOC look!