Thursday, May 28, 2009

#048-365 Childhood Favourites

Everyone, I would like to introduce you to a Willy Wagtail, these cheeky little buggers have been my favourite bird for as long as I can remember, and I can remember my first step, (Long Time) This photo was taken in the "Dog Park" posted earlier with at least a dozen dogs running everywhere, but the bravest of the brave just sat there without a care in the world.

I have been trying since January to get a shot of one because you lot keep posting photos of hummingbirds, which I thought Australia lacked, Ceridwin (Coloured Glass) assures me that we do but I have never seen one and she has been known to take a sip of Red Wine (For her Healths sake - He He) In any event these guys are so flighty and flitty that till the other day all I had ever got was snaps of their cheeky little butts as they scampered away.

These guys are mostly insectivorous, and I can only assume that they were hanging around the standing water that dotted the park after recent rain, but the locals tell me that the family have been there for years and always come down to share in the Bar-B-Ques that are held there and to join in the dog's frolics, so my guess is that it is the Park weaving it's spell as a place of peace for all (Even Councilors).

I don't know the real name for these birds and I don't want to cause the way they dance on the ground and through the air "Willy Wagtails" is the most appropriate name you could get. Like myself most children (Even those seventy and over) are enthralled by their antics and cheeky antics, dive bombing cats (No contact though) just to prove they are the flashest thing around and even cats aren't fast enough. A flock of them darting to and fro is a sight to see.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cheeky little bugger! He's so cute! We have mockingbirds around here that dive bomb cats (so do bluejays), if they get too close to their nests. They're not as cute as this little guy though! Nice shot!

Katie said...

What an interesting specimen! Thanks for sharing, as always!

Anonymous said...

Why aren't I surprised that your childhood favorite is cheeky? Nice shoot of an interesting and fun sounding bird.

Chesney said...

What a cute little bird - love that tail! :) Only you would fall in love with a cheeky bird who bombs cats! go figure!

~Val said...

What a cute little bird...quite worthy of your childhood affection!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Cute little fellows!! Brave too! Dive bombing cats! WOW! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

I can see why you'd relate to a cheeky little critter - afterall, birds of a feather do flock together. I'm glad you finally got a shot of one and I hope you have more opportunities to photograph them again.

mljrbg said...

Cute little cheeky guy!! I like the name you gave them and whatever their real name is it couldn't be appropriate than "Willy Wagtails"!!

Edmund said...

I googled "Willy Wagtails" and came up with a big zero. Now Ron, what is their real name we all must know. Nicely done and great shot of a cheeky bird.