Tuesday, April 28, 2009

#010-365 Aged

I went to the Redcliffe Botanic Gardens yesterday, in the fruitless attempt to photograph a Butterfly, cause there are thousands there. But No Tammy had warned them and they were all either on holidays or just plain hiding. In any event I got a few good shots that you will see in the future and had a real stroke of luck as I was emerging through the southern gate.

I saw this lovely little red car and thought that would make a good shot, and as I was trying to get the shot, a man from the nearby pottery group came out to tell me about how the car was owned by a little old lady with grey hair. He must have wanted to be in the photo cause no matter where I positioned my self he was as clear as day in the reflection, I didn't get mad he was harmless so I dawdled waiting for him to go - and I was rewarded, the owner came down, and she was indeed diminuitive in stature and had grey hair.

I asked her name and she answered "They call me Midge" which apparently was a Nickname bestowed during her service in the Royal AirForce RAF which stuck, and she admitted to being 84 years of age - If I am as fit at sixty as she appears at 84 I will be happy, but I have a long way to go to get that fit by the end of this year. I asked about, the Bright Red Sports Car and she told me that she had seen one in Germany a few years before and thought to herself "That is Me". A long time ago I (ME - Ron) decided to grow old disgracefully and I am working hard towards that end, now I have met a Lady with similar views, except she has decided to do so while maintaining Class and Grace in her activities. Ah well no one is totally perfect!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Midge enjoys many more years tooling around in that little beauty...

What kind of car is it?

Chesney said...

Aw.....I see you found my car, but Ron, I can't accept a gift like this, well maybe..... :)

Linda S said...

This is a fantastic story and a fabulous pic of the car. I'm hoping to be wear a tight leopard skirt while I'm playing tennis, when I'm 84.

barbs said...

So wonderful a woman. And to have a car like that!!! What a way to age!! Great catch.

Anonymous said...

Cute little car. Nice narrative. I'm glad you waited to get the perfect shot. We should all grow old so gracefully. :D

Nan said...

Great shot and another great story! Did she by any chance offer you a ride?

lijola said...

This is such a cute car. What an interesting lady!

terricreates said...

Great shot Ron, and a cool car and outstanding "young" lady inside. We all are aging gracefully until we bend down to that bottom shelf in the grocery store and have to call for help to get up again, LOL.

KimR. said...

Nice car and great photo! I love your story about Midge, too!

Anonymous said...

Go Midge! She's a woman after my own heart! Great find, story and shot Ron!

Anonymous said...

Very creative use of this theme, Ron. Midge sounds like my kinda gal!

Anonymous said...

As always...a great story to go with a great photo! really like the car too...wonderful colors.

Kim said...

Beautiful car and a lovely, classy woman!

Clara said...

That is a great lady. I hope I am tooling around in little red sports cars when I am that age.

Anonymous said...

Cool car! Why is she sitting in the passenger side ;-0 of the car?

Ron, just one thing to watch for - like that trash bin in the background. Otherwise, a great shot!

Sherrie said...

Hi Ron,
That's a beautiful car! Good for Midge having this cute little car! Just because people think your old doesn't mean you have to act or drive that way!! Great shot!! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Katie said...

I think if you can make it to 84 and still drive, then you should have any car you want.
Great story, Ron.

Sunny said...

I agree with Midge. That car is HER! What a great story. Who knew you'd get a different kind of butterfly when you thought you were done?

Rachel said...

What a great story and good for her! That's a lovely little car.

Anonymous said...

You always manage to have a delightful story (and charm the ladies). I love the bold color and the car owner's spirit.

annalarssonphotography said...

A wonderful woman in a wonderful car! :) A great way to age!

DART said...

bet nobody is ticked to be driving behind this young lady cuz she'd be the one passing! lol I'm gonna be just like her when I grow up! ; P

Anonymous said...

What a fun shot and great story, well done once again!