Sunday, February 22, 2009

#276-365 Sentimental

I have noticed a couple of Rest in Peace posts recently, and I have one of those too, but on the same day at Rookwood Cemetry one of the oldest in Sydney and possibly Australia, this was the first grave site I photographed which had a headstone apparently devised to remember a couple.

On the majority without a second occupant, most were spouses who I imagined intended to follow but for unforseen reasons didn't, this struck me as very sad. But I came back to this one for she had offspring who had offspring, space was made for a partner but no mention of anyone else is evident.

The reason I returned was that I was asking what had happen but alas the secret remains, she wasn't talking to me. The plastic bottle had contained live flowers no more than a week before and I kept in the area for a long time thinking that someone would come and give me an answer, they didn't, so they remember, so I guess it is just me who is sentimental.

Rachel I thought about it for days and we will never know.

19 comments:

Rachel said...

What a sad story and a moving photograph. I wonder what happened to the spouse who was supposed to buried on the other side?

Chesney said...

Wonderful image, and wonderful story along with it. It really tells a story!

Linda S said...

This is a moving photograph. I drawn to the container that has fallen over.

mljrbg said...

It is not for us to ever know why... You photographed this with respect.

Debra said...

Wonderful photo, so many questions we will never have the answers to. I do some genealogy and it seems the unanswerable questions are many.

Anonymous said...

The moss really adds to the story. There are a lot of stories to be told when wandering through cemeteries. Great shot.

Anonymous said...

Ron, you've captured a mystery for us. Very poignant.

Anonymous said...

This is a sad and sentimental shot. The tipped over bottle, and the missing epitaph make it feel so lonely and sad. Would love to know the story behind her.

Debbie said...

If some one cares enough to place flowers there then that someone should know the story...

Clara said...

Ron, I love this story and this picture. It is a good mystery. One time, I went to a small rural cemetery to look at my husband's great-grandfather's grave. The tombstone was barely visable, but there were fresh flowers on the grave. I found out later that he had a child who was still living.

Anonymous said...

Your photo is just beautiful Ron, and so are your musings. I guess things like that are what make up the mysteries of life.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo and story - but I bet it would have scared the beejeebers out of you if she'd risen up to answer your questions!

Edmund said...

Great shot Mr. Ron. Sad Story.

Anonymous said...

Touching story and photo, Ron. I like the moss and the overturned container too.

Yes, the flower bearer should have the answers.

Maybe the man was young enough he married again and his new wife outlived him, with a marker meant for two??

Anonymous said...

Sweet, not much to add but a ditto to evryone's comments.

Sunny said...

Died 1930? Maybe he's not ready to use it yet! I find it hopeful, that one side's still blank--and in a time where it's entirely possible the other is still alive (depending on how old she was when she died). I couldn't read that part. I hope that's the case!

Candyce said...

You did a wonderful job on keeping this respectful and your comments are just wonderful - when I walk around our family cemetery I am always taken back by the thoughts of all the families..it's very humbling and it really does make you stop and think what difference we are making here while we can

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully sad photo and story.

DART said...

ya went and got me all teary eyed. great shot for theme.