Tuesday, March 3, 2009

#354-365 Waters Edge

This was taken on the same stinking hot day that I photographed the Mother Lowland Gorilla and her Baby. I had read that in that week a baby Pygmy Hippopotamus had been born at Taronga Park Zoo, and although the baby wasn't in tis enclosure, this little lady exhivited signs that to me indicated that she had been recently pregnant or was only a few months of gestation.

In any event the heat was insufferable and she was determined to cool off. The two geese "BY the Waters Edge" seemed to me to be judges assigned to assess her entry and swimming technique, for they were very vocal at her entry into the water and subsequent paddle around. Mind you they made no attempt to take the pool by force, it may have been a pygmy Hippo but that mouyh and those teeth were formidable.

17 comments:

Chesney said...

You set up a perfect scene from a Pixar movie! LOL - Great image, and those geese do look like judges!

Mia said...

What a story telling shot, I clicked on the picture and I just _love_ the geese, I can almost hear what they are saying. :)

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments on the photo of my daughter and husband. You really made my day today, just wanted to let you know that.

Anonymous said...

Ron, your stories always make your pictures come to life! I like this one with the chillin' hippo.

terricreates said...

Very nice shot of the whole menagerie. Does it ever cool off there? LOL

Esther said...

Looks like the water is beckoning and little hippo is not put off by the heckling in the balcony. It really does look hot....

Debbie said...

Great composition, good lighting, great story, but that is strange looking little critter! It looks like a piggy!

BobbieCoughlin said...

I wasn't quite sure what kind of critter this was--thanks for elucidating.

Anonymous said...

Great animal shot! The hippo looks desperate for the water. It's interesting for me to hear about how hot it is there when I'm having to wear bulky knit sweaters every day!

Anonymous said...

LOL Ron - This is a great shot!!!
Love the geese.....'You tell her to get out...No, YOU tell her to get out, no YOU.......' Just great!

mljrbg said...

Thanks for the story along with this most interesting photograph. I wonder what the geese are really thinking!!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the children sitting on the edge of the pool waiting for permission to go in. Wonderful story shot - you do wonder what those geese are chatting about.

Edmund said...

Quack, Quack get out of my pool ....NOW. You included Mr Ron. Great shot and humor.

Kim said...

How can one tell when a hippo is...um.... with child???? Great shot!

Anonymous said...

Love your tales along with your photos. Make them come to life for me. That hippo may have been small, but don't think the geese were willing to question her wanting to swim. I think the geese chose the better part of valor - retreat! lol Great photo and good colors too.

~Val said...

This is fun! What a great catch!

annalarssonphotography said...

Great image! :)

Candyce said...

if he jumped in would there have been any water left?