Tuesday, April 14, 2009

#131-365 Groceries

This is a local Green Grocers that we use but not exclusively, where possible we try to use the small stores as the multinationals are only trying to drive them out of business as they have tried to do with butchers.

Producers get nothing and once the opposition is gone up go the prices. Our local butcher produces his own beef and beats Coles and Woolworths hands down when it comes to quality and since their prices have started creeping up, the butcher is slightly cheaper if you buy bulk.

The shopping centre isn't a glitter palace and I usually don't notice the colours of this shop, but as I passed the other day it struck me that the array was indeed a feast of colour as well as goodness. BTW I got an email from one of the crew members onboard the South Passage that I posted a few days ago, who had seen the post and thanked me. I have asked permission to print her email and will do so when permission is received. I love the fact that other people see the posts as well as you OLD lot. LOL

18 comments:

Lorri said...

That is, indeed, a feast of color, Ron! Very good shot with lots to see. I also prefer local establishments when possible.

Nan said...

Very colorful indeed!

Chesney said...

Who are you calling OLD??? Now the Systers will definitely be coming! I too prefer using the smaller local stores, butchers are almost obsolete in our area - you can count them on one hand - which is sad since Nebraska is known for it's beef. what a great shot of color - I love the veggie section of the store!

Anonymous said...

Keep those mom and pops in business!

barbs said...

Great market. And you captured the aura perfectly. We should all try to buy local if possible. I know it sometimes seems to cost a little more but it helps the community in so many ways. This is one of my pet peeves too so don't get me started.

Linda S said...

This store make a great subject. You did a nice job capturing the experience of being there.

annalarssonphotography said...

Adorable colors Ron!
Great catch with a lot to see :)

mljrbg said...

Very interesting and colorful shot. That's really neat that a crew member of the ship saw your blog and emailed you.

Katie said...

Wow, there is lots to see,,,Woolworth's..we used to have one of those in my town, but they didn't sell groceries. I didn't think they existed anymore.

Anonymous said...

Lots of good color in this and I like the way you've composed the shot, Ron.

Sunny said...

Good shot! My kind of place! We have Whole Foods Market (which once was the only one in Texas), then came Wild Oats (which Whole Foods bought out), but now there's Central Market and Market Street and Sprouts, all similar versions. Competition is sweet!!

The same kind of corporate buy-out has happened over and over here, too. Wal-Mart is the leading culprit. They're at the top of my s&#% list. They don't need my money, so I don't shop there.

lijola said...

Great colors and everything looks yummy! Looks a little more like a farmer's market - which we don't have here. Love it...

Clara said...

This is such an interesting place. I, too, try to shop with the mom and pop stores. Anywhere but Walmart.

Dallas said...

love all the color here! I think it's wnderful that you're supporting the "little guys"

~Val said...

Very colorful!

Anonymous said...

I love the smaller specialty stores and enjoy helping them whenever possible. This is a nice, colorful shot.

Anonymous said...

A very enticing shot - I would love to have a place like this to shop regularly. I am anxiously awaiting the opening of the farm market near my home - a highlight of the summer months.

Anonymous said...

nice shot. we've got a new vegetable market opening just a mile or so from home. i can't wait, as the nearest one with a decent selection is a couple towns away and a full morning anytime we go. very nice colors, ron!