Tuesday, January 20, 2009

#170-365 Legs

A very Important post for me this one, only this and two more to go before " My Dreamtime Expose is complete" but the important stuff later. This Octopus definitely qualifies for this theme "and then some". To me it depicts the Blue Ringed Octopus that can be found in this area if you are unlucky or really want to see one. I have been searching for weeks along the foreshores to show as "Dangerous" because their toxin can be deadly. The size of this painting has put some doubt about it being a Blue Ring because the actual creature is extremely small, but no less deadly for that. If you come here and see one, look at it enjoy it's wonderful colours but DON'T TOUCH IT! This is true of a lot of Australian Fauna, take the Koala, looks like a big cuddly Teddy Bear, but even Theodore Roosevelt would back off if he saw the damage they can inflict if they are feeling bad tempered. Enough of the culture lesson, on to my good news.

Before I posted the first in this series I told you that I had approached the people responsible for the fence for permission, I then waited a while and went ahead with the post. Well today I got a reply which not only gives me the permission that I asked for but also explains some things that had me thinking. Rather than reitterate what was said I will post the reply I received below as it is expressed more eloquently than my verbosity would allow.
Please take good note of the signee and her title. It restates my pleas for respect. Till Tomorrow

Ron

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We have no problems with you photographing our fence, and we appreciate that you have taken the time to take into account any concerns that we may have about what you intend to do. Please be aware, that the art work was done by Aboriginal people and non-Aboriginal people who were working together on this project. The concept was ours but both Aboriginals and non-Aboriginals contributed to the design. My only regret is that I am not able to give you the names of all of the artists who participated. It would have been more respectful if they could have been acknowledge as contributors of the art work as well. All we ask at this time, is that when you are submitting the photographs, is to express that permission was sought from the Ningy Ningy People of the Redcliffe area and it was granted.

Yours sincerely

Maroochy Barambah

Songwoman/Law-woman

15 comments:

Sheila said...

Ron wow -- what a great picture and well worth the wait! I agree that you could not have said it better than posting her note. It is definitely a winner.

Anonymous said...

Ron, you have done such a beautiful job on your photographs of this Aboriginal artwork. I really appreciate the explanations you have included with the photographs. It really adds a lot to the picture when one can appreciate the story behind it.

Chesney said...

I hope you frame that note - way too cool! I have really enjoyed all of the artwork and your explanation of the history and meanings behind each piece. I would definitely say an octopus would qualify as legs, I am keeping my fingers crossed that you find your "dangerous" theme!!

Candyce said...

I once thought I would like to go to Australia but you have some REALLY dangerous sea creatures!!

~Val said...

Well said, Kim! And Kudos to Ron on your fine series. I like this one a lot. The angle really shows off those fine octo-legs!

Bo Mackison said...

What a great series on the Aboriginal art. It is just the type of thing I love - to experience another part of the world through the camera lens and words of one who lives there.

Bo

Anonymous said...

You have done a community service in advertising the Aboriginal artwork. Now, if some one of us wish to visit Australia, we will already have seen a primer on the subject.

As usual, the colors and designs are very compelling. Good work.

Sunny said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your photos of the artwork fence. The letter just tops it off. In this day and age, it is nice to find someone who is respectful (and, I suspect, somewhat in awe) of the original artists. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I think this one is my favorite of the series and is certainly very appropriate for the 'legs' theme.

Anonymous said...

I've been getting history lessons about the rich, cultural history of your beautiful country. Thank you again. The octopus is unbelievable.
I'm glad the stained glass window brought back happy memories for you!

Anonymous said...

Wow ... ummm ... wow. Thanks for sharing this - I'm feeling misty, Dobe...

SysterLilli said...

What a wonderful letter, so incredibly fun and you must be very proud to have received it. Wow, you got permission from the Ningy Ningy People of the Redcliffe area. I'm sitting here smiling on your behalf! :)
Today's picture is probably my favorite so far, the octopus is so very beautiful. Thank you for sharing. :)

Linda aka Elemobe said...

Ron, I have enjoyed this series of photos and that letter of permission certainly gives some sense of the people involved and the importance and sentiment of this work of art.

barbs said...

Ron, I have enjoyed all your fence pictures. This artwork is so different. I am impressed by the cooperation of the artists. Your photos would make a great tribute (book) to the aboriginal people.

Debbie said...

So what about Cane Toads?
Do you come across them often?
Do you fear them?