Tuesday, March 10, 2009

#115-365 Furry

Here is another Iconic Aussie, and I don't know all the animals in the world but if there is one that personifies furry more than these guys I am ready to be illucidated but doubt that I will be convinced.

The babies are even moreso, but don't be fooled what seems to be placid fur, if antagonized, pestered, annoy, is in a bad mood or you get between her and her baby, then the title changes to FURY.

Have a good look at Mum's front claws, they are designed to keep her safely attached to a tree maybe 200-300 feet in the air in all sorts of winds, and the same design ensures that the baby on her back stays put as well. I was working in a Signals Unit with the Army when one of the technicians noticed a large koala about 200 feet up a transmission tower. (In the koala's defence, if I was forced to subsist on eucalyptus leave my vision would be wonky too) Nothing we could say could dissuade him from rescuing it, needless to say as he approached it barked a loud warning that made me back off and I was on the ground. (Did I mention that the koala was a BIG Bull Male in the prime of his life) In the ensuing tussle the koala got dislodged from the steel beams, the nails aren't that strong, and he fell 200 feet to the ground, got up turned threateningly towards us growled savagely clambered over the barbed wire fence and limped into the scrub behind the antennae farm.

I took three medics to rescue the Tech. One to staunch the bleeding so that he only lost about a pint and a half of blood. When he got out of hospital where he had been re-christened Rescue - 8 from an old TV program of the time, he had acquired 134 new stitches to hold him together. Not trying to scare just warn, If I get the opportunity to hold one I do, they feel like big heavy squirmy teddy bears and I don't even mind the unremovable stains if they get caught short or want to give you something to remember, Neither the stain or the smell every quite goes away.

So if you get the chance nurse one especially the babies they are cuter than either Tammy or Karen can imagine, but if those Ladies come here I will organize the Koala for them to nurse. You most likely saw that shot during the recent bush-fires in Victoria where the fireman got his 15 minutes of fame by feeding water to an animal that is known not to drink. I must have watched that footage a thousand times because the Koala burned and sore as he was KNEW he had to have water and if you look at the footage again he new that he had only minutes to get the water or he was dead, that was great news gathering.

They normally don't drink at all, the leaves provide everything, but due to its low nutritional value they usually sleep around 20 -22 hours a day, just to digest the leaves, which means that they beat Lions for sleep, cause Lions sleep on an average 18-20 hours a day but they are cats and are naturally lazy, Sally thinks I am part cat.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great photo and wonderful commentary. You tell a story soooooo well, it gets the reader completely involved in the tale. I like the colors and the contrasts of this photo. And if I ever have the opportunity to meet up with a Koala Bear, I will be content to admire it from afar. :D

Anonymous said...

Your furry beats my furry any day. Great shot of the Koala. Maybe someday I will get to visit Australia (but I would have to come by boat).

Chesney said...

Now, isn't that the cutest, leave it to you to completely switch gears and go mushy on us! That is one thing our zoo does NOT have, why I don't know. By the way, cute little baby is really Agent Koala - I tell you they are everywhere!

Anonymous said...

A cute photo of Mama and baby koala - and thanks for all the info on these cute creatures.

Anonymous said...

Cute and furry! And an interesting story too...

John said...

Lovely shot of furry mom and baby.

Anonymous said...

What a cool shot of the mother and baby koala! And what a story to go with it! They must be really tough animals to fall so far and walk away.

~Val said...

Too cute!!! Thanks for the supporting tale, too!

jo said...

Terrific shot and great commentary.

Anonymous said...

Ron, you might just get me to Australia if I have a chance to cuddle a little koala! Adorable photo and a great story to go with it. They definately fit the theme of Furry.

Anonymous said...

Once again a fine shot and fun story.

Sunny said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the koala photo and the story with it. (Although, I can tell you, it's probably not so surprising that the burned koala was thirsty--burns leak body fluids from damaged cells, and the need for water to prevent or alleviate dehydration escalates dramatically. Burns are probably the worst possible wounds, regarding both the amount of pain, and the amount of tissue damage.)

Anonymous said...

Great shot! Lesson #1....stay away from Koala & baby! (Just in case I ever meet up with one, or two, or three.....)

Debra said...

Your composition of the shot is wonderful. Lovely looking koalas and thanks for the information.

Anonymous said...

Perfect shot for Furry (and Fury!).

These cuties look like their in someone's back yard...are they?

DART said...

I'm enjoying the commentaries too! Much prefer your furry pic to mine...I think I was just trying to play 'catch up' quickly that day! LOL

SysterLilli said...

Koalas are so cute. I would like to meet one some day. Great photo and very interesting information. So Sally thinks you are partly cat? :)