Saturday, March 7, 2009

Wasps


I found this colony of wasps setting up shop on one of her Jade Plants and am asking a local Gardening Guru, Colin Campbell to take a look at them and advise if they should be got rid of or, are beneficial.

It is the practice to listen to his program every Saturday and Sunday Morning from 7.00 to 10.00am (21.oo - 2400 gmt) and it is on the web under 4BC if you want to hear a typical Australian although in reality he is an import, from New Zealand, but is now a neutralized Australian, full of gardening gems and plenty of cheeky good cheer.

So this one is for Sally but you are willing to join in if you like.

I have to report that this item never made it into this Sunday's Collin Campbell show, so no advice, plus he is off on Holidays for a few weeks and is being replace by a guy whose name is Paul Plant which seems appropriate for a gardening show.
So it looks like curtains for the wasps as Sally plans on spraying the hive? tonight, which the majority of comments seemed in favour of, except for Tammy and Karen who for some reason wanted me to keep the wasps around. I wonder if they had an ulterior motive in suggesting that, Hmmmm.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron, I especially like your closeup in the first photo. And my two cents - wasps should ALWAYS be got rid of:-) They sting and they hurt! Oh, and they scare me.

Chesney said...

These are really cool shots, and what neat framing! I would leave them if they are not bothering anything. I always have to get rid of mine because the boys think that they can catch them with their hands (hmmmmm....how old are they??)? Definitely a boy thing! Hey, guess I don't have to worry about Corey this year - he won't be able to catch them LOL

Anonymous said...

Don't get too close - zoom in from afar! It would be fun to keep them around for awhile just to photograph their progress.

KimR. said...

Wow, these are wonderful shots!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos of wasps. Not normally my favourite animal...
Cathy

ps. the choc information is now posted :-) http://witchyborder.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/46-of-365-theme-30-box/

Anonymous said...

I got a can of foam with their name on it. I got stung 10 times by the same wasp this past summer. Went up my pant leg. I'm sure the neighbors were laughing as I danced around trying to get my pants off, ha hah aha

Debbie said...

So did you keep them or did they pack their bags and go looking for a new home? I like bugs, but some do need to stay in their own space.
Great macro photgraphy!

mljrbg said...

Great shots Ron. You are very brave to get close to them!! You captured a lot of detail.

Anonymous said...

While I normally let wild things do their thing if they aren't invading my space, I make an exception for wasps if they are near my house or where we are apt to get stung by them, like out mowing the yard. So, if they are in one of your wife's plants, and she has to tend to it or water it, then I vote to get rid of them. Just be careful when doing it. Good photo.

Debra said...

Good shot of the wasp's nests. Interesting that they seem to be just double columns hanging; the ones I usually spray here are a mass.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful close up & creative framing! I agree with Tammy and Karen, don't spray! I had the start of a nest and I destroyed it while they they weren't there. They never came back. Why don't you try that first? Just a thought.

MevetS said...

I have wasp nests on my deck each year. The only ones I kill are those that find their way into my house.

Otherwise we share the space. I've only been stung, by a wasp, once.

Sunny said...

If they're not aggressive, I'd leave them be. Strangely enough, most wasps are beneficial. It's just that some are truly vicious in the spring, especially, when they're protecting their nests. (Yellow jackets, for instance!) I much appreciate the ones who mind their own business.

BTW: I discovered last year (by observation) that dragonflies eat wasps! Did you know that?

Edmund said...

I just knock the hive down and they usually go elsewhere. Great shot. Your not allergic to bee stings are you.

Chesney said...

Ron, you can call them "agent" wasps! Now we really do know your every move!!