Friday, February 13, 2009

#096-365 Feather or Feathered

Still playing catch-up but nearly there. I took a couple of shots of birds that I will have to find a theme for, whilst I was away, but these beauties, need to be posted as they are Majestic and Elegant.

They are Black Swans which we normally associate with Western Australia, and Perth and the Swan River in particular. I photographed this in the pond of a fairly recent housing estate called Northlakes.

After photographing them I watched as they moved into the centre of the lake slowly scouring the lake bed for the weeds they eat that can be seen in an enlarged shot.

Some have commented that they would like to see some shots from my trips to and from Sydney New South Wales, and I admit to taking a mere 1500 or so in the days I was away. Now my plan is to scour this multitude in hope of finding shots suitable for the challenge but that will leave many that I will want to post, primarily to show off the country that I love and some interesting things like country churches that I never looked at until I met you guys. Let me know in either your comments or via the 365 challenge thread if you think a separate blog would be most suitable or if you have a better idea, this is all new to me and I am running on adrenaline and enthusiasm alone.

16 comments:

Nan said...

Beautiful swan picture. I think a separate blog would be great as it wouldn't limit (by theme) the pictures you could share. I'd love to see lots of pictures!

Sheila said...

All I can say is Wow! These are the most beautiful birds.

I'm looking forward to seeing your countryside pictures. My husband and I have talked about going to your country but it is so far away! I'll have to live it thru your pictures. My choice would be to have you set-up a separate blog with a link to it on your 365 Challenge. I've set one up for our trip as we will be traveling starting in April for about 6 months across the states.

jo said...

The swans are beautiful, Ron.

Give us your best shots and don't lose your enthusiasm!

Chesney said...

Very stunning - this is beautiful!

I would just throw the extras pics in this blog - why do a bunch of extra work - can hardly wait to see your travels!

~Val said...

Black swans are so pretty! Nice shot of so many of these pretty birds.

barbs said...

I really like this picture. First i have never seen black swans. But what I like most is the way you captured them all "sitting" in that clump facing each other. Do they do that a lot?

Linda S said...

I love those red beaks.

terricreates said...

They are really beautiful. Great picture and details.

Anonymous said...

The enlarged shot really shows the beauty of the color and composition - a very nice shot. As for the rest of the pictures - since you didn't offer to fly us all down there to put us up for a rousing great week-long BBQ and photo-fest in the warm weather, I guess I'll have to settle for a link to another blog.

Anonymous said...

What a nice find for this theme! They are majestic, aren't they. Nice shot!

SysterLilli said...

Beautiful swans. Do not think I have seen black swans before. Great! Are they common?

I would add the images from the trip under a new category in this blog. Why spend extra time and work to create a new one?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your travel photos.

Anonymous said...

That shot is so interesting. I've never seen swans DO anything except float around and look graceful. Its neat to see them eating the weeds.

As for displaying your holiday shots - why don't you make a Flickr page or a Smugmug account to share them?

mljrbg said...

This is fabulous. I never even knew there were black swans. They are gorgeous.

I would really like to see the photos from you holiday however you would like to post them.

Anonymous said...

Love swans and what a treat to see black ones! You've captured them in such a way as to show off how graceful they are. Beautiful!

Edmund said...

Ron, great image. Never saw Black swans before.

Esther said...

I want to see more of your photos, too. If you set up a second blog, you can put a link on this one. My sister Iona did that with hers. Blogs are so easy to set up that I don't know why it should be extra 'work' since you will be posting them on one or the other. I really like your photos and especially the stories that go with them!