Wednesday, September 30, 2009

#287-365 Skin

Decorated skin to be precise, and Sally's to boot. She gave herself this as a present for her 70th Birthday, which I think frightened the tattooist more than anyone else, he commented that she was "Probably" his oldest client to date, so he took it seriously. I was impressed that he cleaned his work station thoroughly three times before he started work, but this close up shows me that he put as much attention into the tattoo as he did into the cleaning, the eye blows me away!

I was the only one at her birthday party that knew her secret, so when I shouted out "Show Us Your Tatts" her younger son thought I had said something else, which shows some of the establishments he has frequented, but was most supportive when he saw it as he has a growing back piece himself. Although he made no comment I felt the elder son was not amused and believe me I was watching for their reactions.

If you think that is the end of Sally's rebellious streak, you (and I) are wrong, it was only the night before last she said I think we might travel around Australia, yet to sort out the details so don't know yet but I am impressed with her nerve, although have taken on the role of Devil's Advocate at the moment so that she can foresee some of the pitfalls such a trip can present. Which is really strange as I have to fight the Wanderlust myself every 18 months or so, but that is just a remnant of my military service and the life I lived for so many years - it don't go away of it's own accord you have to suppress it - at a cost, some times I appear grumpy can you imagine.

10 comments:

BobbieCoughlin said...

Please pass my comment on to Sally: YOU ARE MY HERO! I wanna grow up to be just like you!

~Val said...

Another fabulous tale...and I, like you, are most impressed by your wife's fortitude AND the froggie's eye!

Clara said...

This is great, Ron. I admire her for doing her thing. Tell her we admire her.

Sherrie said...

Hi Ron,
Tell Sally I like her tattoo. Very nice work by the tattooist. My sister is a tattooist. I would get wonder lust and travel around the U.S. if I had the money. Have a great day!

Sherrie
http://sherrie-myphotosgoodorbad.blogspot.com/2009/09/193-of-365fasteners.html

Anonymous said...

Well I was not expecting that! Here's Sally showing off her Wow Syster's colors (oops - did she forget to tell you that Ron?) A wonderful shot - I just hope it really was her idea, and not your instance for the sake of a theme!

Chesney said...

I think Sally and I would become fast friends - I love her spunk! :) Tell her very cool tattoo!

lijola said...

She's gotta be feisty to deal with you, eh? What a great shot. I don't have the nerve to get one.

Christina, Sweden said...

Even though I'm not fond of tattos I like that little one (hope it's small) Great story around it!

Esther said...

Beautiful work! I have a few grandchildren who have tats. Personally I don't think I would have the nerve...I'm 74! My 50-year-old daughter got one to "kick up her heels" over turning 50. She said it hurt like heck...

Hey, tell Sally I'd go around the country with her...I've always wanted to visit Oz.

Anonymous said...

Haha- "Show us your Tatts" made me laugh out loud! I like the tattoo- the colors and detail are great- and you took a great shot of it. Happy belated Birthday to Sally.