Sunday, June 7, 2009

#242-365 Prohibited

Went for a stroll through the local cemetery yesterday and was blown away by this sign placed at the entrance by the local council, (Now merged into a SUPER COUNCIL - Scary stuff). The PROHIBITIONS still remain however, people are not allowed, to pay respects to their loved ones in the way they seem fit, only in the way the council deems fit, Hey I'm the first to admit that this proves, I don't live in Paradise, cause in Paradise all bureaucrats would be forced to reside in Hades, (I think I could draft that By-Law cause I'm most likely headed that-a-way for other reasons).

I know of a couple who lost a 2 year old child and made a practice of leaving a Teddy Bear on his grave on the anniversary of his death and the mother continued the practice until she passed on at 80. This would be illegal under this prohibition, but I would like to be around when some trumped up little fry-brain tried to enforce it, I'd do the gaol time with total eqanimity, I don't suffer fools readily. In my opinion fools being allowed to erect offensive signs like this is what should be prohibited.

11 comments:

Lorri said...

Nice shot, Ron. I like your passion!

Nan said...

How sad. I just visited the cemetery today where my mom is. They allow all sorts of memorials--flowers, statues, figurines, bird houses, flags, etc. I like cemeteries like that so much better than the sterile ones that allow only a marker.

BobbieCoughlin said...

What happens to people who violate the prohibitions? They get haunted?

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm - it doesn't prohibit picnics or sunbathing. Perhaps you need to pack up a blanket and some lotion and spread your blanket near a loved one for an afternoon Ron! (Good thing I'm not living nearby or we might find ourselves waving at each other from behind bars!) Great catch for this theme and a wonderfully pasionate diatribe.

Anonymous said...

Rules, rules, rules and none of them where they're REALLY needed! Go figure!

mljrbg said...

Those are some pretty strict rules. It really is sad and I'm sure difficult for a lot of families who would like to leave something when they visit.

Clara said...

I prefer a cemetery that looks like the people who are buried there were actually loved.

Anonymous said...

Are these people elected or appointed to their positions? Either way, there are ways to get them out of office. I think you would be passionate enough to spearhead a movement to that end. :D And you would have all of us here cheering you on! The town cemetery I visited last cold January had lots of stuff about. I think the main thing is to be cognizant of when the grass needs mowing. It is difficult if the grounds are all cluttered. But still, there can be some form of order.

Anonymous said...

The enforcement would be the key, I like Bobbie's question.

Candyce said...

They have the same guidelines here in the states flowers need to be removed by a certain date, grass cut to certain lengths no borders...guess there isn't any "rest in Peace"

DART said...

I wonder what will be left on the rule-makers sites when their turn comes...they may end up with "materials" not even on this list. lol