Monday, May 25, 2009

#149-365 Hobby

As winter barrels down on us here suffering in Paradise, I thought of all you people sweltering under global warming in Northern Climes, would appreciate seeing one of our inhabitants, suffering to enjoy his personal hobby. You can see how freezing and unpleasant the morning conditions can get, I believe it was about 18% C when I took this.

I must admit to not pursuing fishing here in Queensland but then I was spoiled when I was in God's Own Country, The Northern Territory. What they catch and are happy to keep down here was what we used for bait around Darwin. The biggest fish I ever caught personally up there was a38 pound Spanish Mackrell, but it lacked fight and was not all that memorable. My best catch was a 27 pound Barramundi that took me an hour and a half to land on the light tackle I was using. I have seen plenty of movies on Big Game fishing but I think Pound for pound the Barramundi is the fightingest fish there is.

The effort they make to get away is awe inspiring, I have seen them taildance for a hundred yards, with their mouths open in excess of 200 degrees shaking their heads from side to side in an effort to dislodge the lure. Truely Magnificent. The 27 pounder mentioned above was brought into the boat just before dusk and it left me with a dilemma as I had landed an 18 pounder just after dawn and had dragged it around behind the boat all day as I trolled in Corroboree Billabong just off the Mary River. So I thought I will take the rope out of the mouth of the first that I caught and if he has given up the ghost I will take him home and let the big fella go. He just seemed to sit there for a minute or two, but when I reached for him, he became aware that the rope was gone and so was he in a silver lightning flash, which meant I had the big one to take home and brag about.

14 comments:

Chesney said...

Wow, this is really spectacular! Love the almost silhouetted fisherman against that sparkling water! this is breathtaking!

~Val said...

I like the silhouette effect and the diamond-glitter of the water. Great shot, Ron!

Anonymous said...

This is so fine and such an iconic fishing shot. An impressive expanse of water and as always a good story.

Sunny said...

Super capture, but the story sounds a little "fishy" to me!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous shot! The sun sparkling off the water, those beautiful clouds in the background, the beautiful line of the fishing rod....spectacular!

jo said...

Wonderful shot, Ron. It looks so peaceful and your story is fun as usual.

Brita said...

What a wonderful shot! I wish I was out there too....just love the sparkling water.

Anonymous said...

A good fish tale is always a delight to hear. I'd love to see a shot of you with that fish! Good capture on the current fishing shot - a nice choice for the Hobby theme.

DART said...

The original way to meditate! Fabulous photo you snapped there!

Anonymous said...

I love the light off the ocean at the back ... very serene shot.

Lorri said...

Ron, this is one of your best! It's the perfect example of a man enjoying his hobby.

Clara said...

This is a stunning picture, Ron. You need to frame this one and hang it on the wall!

mljrbg said...

Beautiful silhoutte of the the solo fisherman in the early hours of the morning. Glad you got to keep the "big" fish!!

annalarssonphotography said...

Beautiful sparkles on the water and I love the silhouette of the fisherman.
I'm not 'fishy' but your shot makes me consider it worth a try :)