Monday, January 26, 2009

#195-365 National Pride

Okay you lot - On your feet, Hats off and help celebrate AUSTRALIA DAY with me, join in the singing of OUR National Anthem:

(I know you know the tune - it's the one they play whenever this little country of only 20 million inhabitants, beat the pants of you big tough countries at the Olympic games, Commonwealth Games and just about any sporting event (except curling) that you would want to mention (or not)) Madcaps query on the Kangaroo/Wallaby, it is a bush Kangaroo the same breed that you may remember as "Skippy" (About half the size of a Big Red but that one is a Bull and he is in front ready to defend his lady and Joeys, and I wouldn't approach them.)





Advance Australia Fair!

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia fair!
In joyful strains then let us sing,
"Advance Australia fair!"


When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Till he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
With all her faults we love her still,
"Brittannia rules the wave!"
In joyful strains then let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"


Beneath our radiant southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"


While other nations of the globe
Behold us from afar,
We'll rise to high renown and shine
Like our glorious southern star;
From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,
Who come our lot to share,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair!
In joyful strains then let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"


Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore
To guard our native strand;
Brittannia then shall surely know,
Beyond wide ocean's roll,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep a British soul.
In joyful strains the let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"


Did you enjoy that - I did although to be honest I think I have only heard verses 2, 4 & 5 on one other occasion normally 1 & 3 are all that is sung. There is some disquiet from the Aborigine community on the choice of day (They want it changed) as they feel as this is "Invasion Day" but that is political and I am not, the great thing is we are all entitled to our opinions. I personally would drop the reference to Britain in the Anthem but I'm not good at poetry, and that was written in a different era, to the one we face today.

As an Aussie, I was always impressed with the public display of National Pride displayed by Yanks, and felt sorry that Aussies weren't more like that, well this year it seems that my wish is coming true, I have never seen so many cars driving around with flags a fluttering (And I Love IT) more houses are displaying flags too and if I can talk Sally into the flagpole Who Knows.

If you look closely there are two small Aldi ads included (small cause they aren't paying me) but there because they are a German Company that buys primarily from Australian producers. I included one tired old tattered flag because it has flown for years in all weather. The animal photos depicted were in all honesty taken last year but I wanted to show how these little critters are so intrinsic to our national Psyche.

The main Feature comes from my heart and is as I see Australia, this shows a statue of a "Digger" the term proudly worn by Australian servicemen who have served in so many conflicts throughout the world winning respect from those with whom they served not to mention that of their adversaries. The Statue and Flags stand outside the local Returned Services League club which was responsible for erecting the Anzac Memorial featured in my Sunrise post.

Hope you find this interesting and wishing you all A VERY HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY

18 comments:

Candyce said...

Ron - A VERY HAPPY Australia day to you and yours! I am very impressed with your first scrapbooking attempt you might soon become an addict like the rest of us! Hope you have a festive day

Ms Katy said...

I hope you have enjoyed your Australia Day as much as I enjoyed reading your info. I'm sorry I cannot remember the song to sing it but I did read every word! I too am impressed with your digi scrapping talents! You are a wonder!

mljrbg said...

Very nice montage. Happy Australia day.

Chesney said...

Wow, now you can add the title "Scrapper" after your signiture! I am impressed! By the way, Happy Australia Day!!

Rachel said...

What a fantastic montage, and as always, a great story to go with your photo. Happy Australia Day!

Esther said...

Your composite photo included a lot of things. I clicked on the larger photo to get to the details. You done good.
It looks like everyone here posted on January 26. In my little town it is still January 25! I wonder about the times on the postings. Anyway happy, happy Australia day.

~Val said...

Happy Australia Day to you, too, from yesterday land in the US (I think as I write this, Australia Day is now over for you. Hope it went well!)

Anonymous said...

Happy Australia Day, Ron! You did a fine job with your first scrapping attempt.

Edmund said...

great take on the theme. I like the words also for your National Anthem.

Anonymous said...

Ron, I must be one of the only ones that is not a "scrapper" here. Have not gotten into that yet. Too much else to do.

You did good with your praise for your beloved Australia. Your National Pride shows in all you do. Thanks for the education. And belated Happy Australian Day!

DART said...

Happy Australia Day Ron! I sent a little graphic to my friends in New South Wales earlier today! (going to email it to you now as well) That is a very cool collection that you've put together...skillfully crafted--> ya done good! : )

Anonymous said...

Happy Australia Day!

Debbie said...

Happy Australia Day Ron!
Great Montage!
We celebrate Canada Day in July!

SysterLilli said...

Happy Australia Day!
Great montage and thank you for your story. :)
20 million inhabitants... I just wonder which country won the World Championships in bandy yesterday? Sweden, Sweden, little Sweden with only 9 million inhabitants! What does that say about Australia? Haha! Just kidding! Could not help my self. Sorry. :)

Debra said...

A Very nice montage and loved all the info. Happy Australia Day!

Anonymous said...

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L photo montage & a very happy Australia Day to you & Sally! I love all the photos-but is that a wallaby or kangaroo? LOL

Madelaine

Anonymous said...

A fine montage/collage/composite! Australia Day is over for you but here at -8 GMT it's still going strong!

Anonymous said...

Happy Australia Day, Ron! ANd welcome to the ranks of the scrappers - your first collage is impressive.