Sunday, February 15, 2009

#251-365 Razor Sharp

A stretch of the theme here, but I am talking about this birds eyesight capabilities, although the talons qualify too, I snapped this Wedgetailed Eagle a split second after it left its perch and flew directly over my head as part of an "open air" I tried to adjust and snap him inches from my head but alas I am no Grant, Edmund or one of the other whizzes in our midst, and nearly cried when I saw the blurred result of my feeble attempt.

The show started with three owls all of which were free flown, then went to a Galah I will show one later on then a White Breasted Sea Eagle with a claw which was damaged whilst the bird was a fledgling, which would have meant death because Sea Eagles need both talons to snare their prey. Then a full grown Andean Condor which demonstrated just how hungry vultures can get, I have one shot of that which I will call, Patience be damned, I'm gonna Kill Something. The Condor was followed by the young guy I have posted. A most entertaining and educational display that lasted well over 45 minutes and was too short.

The Finale was a mass release of Sulphur Crested (White), Red Tailed and Rare White Tailed Black Cockatoos, which swarmed and reeled in a manner very reminiscent of their bhaviour in the wild, which scattered the many crows and magpies that had gathered to object to the presence of the eagles and Owls that had flown before. The fun bit of the show was the Galah (A Euphemism for fool or clown in Ozzie slang) who proved to be anything but. A member of the audience held up a Gold Coin ($1 or $2) between thumb and forefinger, the bird flew to him took the coin, flew back to the keeper and deposited it into his pocket (and was rewarded of course) The keeper explained then that he was willing to keep the money but the Galah was criminally honest, and when the audience member extended his palm the Galah flew back with the coin returning it to the same guy (then flew back and was again rewarded) this blew me away. But there was a dust off as the keeper announced that at the end of the show one of the Blak White tailed Cockatoo's had half learned the trick, but didn't have the scrupples of the Galah and kept the money to assist in research, only cost me two dollars and just wait until you see the shots, worth a heap more. You should come out and enjoy the show.

Sorry if the photo is slightly out of focus but I had set the lens to AF as these birds are so quick, but as Sunny says it does show movement, a shame the AF couldn't cope when the bird was less than a foot from my head, that was why I cried .

8 comments:

Debra said...

Wow, that sounds like an awesome demonstration. I do like the shot with him coming at you.

Debbie said...

Great photo Danudin! How lucky to have a chance to be around such great birds!

Chesney said...

You had quite the show, and for free too! I am jealous!!

Sunny said...

I'd love to see that show!

The bird being out of focus, and the trees behind it being IN focus, emphasises the motion and speed of the bird. (Tell 'em you did it on purpose!)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I feel like I should duck!
A great photo of a beautiful raptor. Love it!

mljrbg said...

Great shot. Such an awesome experiene.

Anonymous said...

under the circumstances, you captured a great shot. Thanks for sharing it and the story behind it with us. You did a great job.

Candyce said...

awesome take on the theme - that's an incredible shot in air - awesome