Friday, April 3, 2009

#153-365 How About this Weather.

For those who saw my shot of the Baby Gorilla and her heat effected Mother, cast your mind back to that shot to try and get a feel, for this photo I found among that series of shots. I had thought to discard this shot cause it didn't show this fellow in his best light, but I have now decided to use it as i see it as a pretty good depiction of how excessive heat can make anyone feel. I also played around with the lighting but decided that as this bird had selected this shady spot to "Flake Out" it was best to leave the lighting as it came out of the camera.

At the time I took this there were about six or so other Peacocks loose on the Zoo grounds and most of them were in a foul mood (No pun on Fowl intended), and didn't want to be bothered with people at all, and there wasn't much of a display either - it was just too danged HOT! I did notice an early 20ish Asian couple closely pursuing one of them and when I queried what they were doing the Girl said "I want a Feather". The guy got all Bruce Lee with me so I made some disparaging remarks concerning his mental stability and went of to get a keeper.

When we got back she had a Peacock Eye Feather in her hand and a oozing gash on her Leg, which was bleeding quite profusely, the guy started ranting about suing the Zoo, and the keeper (Who I had given my name and phone number to) said come up to the Main Gate to get some medical attention and mentioned Tetanus, which got them moving and as he passed me, said the police will be there to meet us and make an arrest, it's all on Video, Thanks.

I admit to being selfish (we all are to some extent) but people like that pop my cork, saying that I would like to thank all who commented greeting Snow to our Family and I promise that she will feature in many future posts. In general she will replace Darcy a male cat that we got when he was around 8 years old who we had for about 4 years but who got too sick in November, I miss him terribly and hope to build the same report or trust level with Snow. I will explain some of her history in later posts, but want to mention two commentors in particular.

SysterLilli in particular was complimentary but confirmed my suspisions on her affiliations with the WoW Sect so henceforth all members of that group shall be referred to as WoWSysters by me, and speaking of which the ArchSyster Karen's suggestion that I would have painted dots on Snow if I hadn't encountered Paddy first is reprehensible, but I would like to thank her, for the suggestions that making her look like a Zebra for "Stripes" would be suitable and you can rest assured that it will look just like a Zebra. Poor Snow and it's all SysterKaren's fault.

I did nothing, I went to get the keeper but he was on his way there, they had it all on CCTV

22 comments:

KimR. said...

Poor bird, how sad. And good for you going to get a zookeeper to report the girl wanting a feather--some people don't care who or what they hurt!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bird. Sad story. Too many people have a sense of entitlement when it comes to animals, or very little care for their lives. Good job fetching the zookeeper!!

Lorri said...

What a sad bird. At least it wasn't what I thought at first--that Snow had asserted her feline authority on the local fowl population!

Esther said...

In Hawaii there is a threat to all who would take some of the Islands back home with them. Bad luck is said to haunt them. The story at the park office is that people feel the bad luck and mail back whatever they took, requesting to have it replaced in the exact spot! Unfortunately, anything like that coming into the state is subject to quarantine and it will never be replaced!

It looks like this woman's bad luck started before she even left the park....She met you!

Anonymous said...

Gives new meaning to 'proud as a peacock' perfect for the theme and good on you for getting the keeper.

Anonymous said...

Too bad about the gash......not!
Good thing there was someone there with a little sense at least! Love the colors you've captured on this poor, hot baby!

Anonymous said...

A good deed on your behalf good Sir Ron, Defender of Peacocks. I fear that the heat is getting to you though as you sink deeper into your paranoia about an imagined sect of witches out to get you. A nice capture with this shot to show the critter in it's natural and relaxed state.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm wonder why they didn't provide something to cool the birds? Like a sprinkler so they could mitigate the worst of the heat?

Beautiful bird even in his misery. And great for you to stand up for what you know was right. Some people have no sense at all. Nice photo.

I'm glad for you and Sally that you now have Snow. She looks like she will be very photogenic.

DART said...

as much as I don't like to see this bird this way, I wouldn't mind feeling a bit of that heat right now myself!

YAY YOU for reporting them...amazes me how some people think most of the time. Or most people, some of the time. LOL

Linda S said...

It looks like the lady got what she deserved. I wish all of life worked out like that.

Chesney said...

I'm glad that bird got them!! They deserved it - even in the heat that peacock still had some mischief in him! Applauds out to SysterKaren and SysterLilly for keeping you on your toes...

Anonymous said...

Aren't the patterns and colors in the feathers beautiful?

Katie said...

Great way to show the theme, poor bird, though! Thanks for the story, wow you have some adventures! I'm glad that other bird got those people, how stupid!

Maria said...

Can´t find words, poor, poor bird...and bad, bad girl (or parents).

Debra said...

Poor hot peacock. I am forever appalled by some people's behavior. And nothing like a bad deed being immediately punished.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Great photo. Your were right keeping it straight out of the camera. Good job reporting those people to the Zoo Keeper!! Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great evening!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

When I first saw this photo, I thought the poor bird was dead. Why isn't there a foundtain for them? That's very cruel but at least you were looking out for them. My gosh, we have so many peacocks on Longboat. I would have been glad to see if I could find her a stray feather.

Anonymous said...

Good for the bird! I can't believe how some people think they are entitled to something and blame others when it goes awry.
Sad photo but good match for the theme.

Clara said...

My neighbor when I was growing up had peacocks so I know that they can be mean. People nowadays just have no knowledge or respect for animals.

Sunny said...

It makes me angry and sad that so many people don't seem to realize that we are not the only sentient species on this earth! I called the sheriff's dept. once on a man who was throwing rocks at some exotic deer in a reserve. Wanted his son to see them run, he said. Instead, he taught his son to throw rocks at animals for fun. (Idiot.)

(Glad to hear the peacock got his revenge. Fools deserved it. You don't pluck feathers from the birds--you wait until they molt them. THEN you pick the feathers up!!)

Candyce said...

ok I had to look at this a few times I couldnt find it's head! Peacocks are so beautiful when they are open winged to bad this guy is so sad

Edmund said...

Great shot Ron, Glad the Keeper got them.