Saturday, May 2, 2009

#338-365 Triangle

This shot was taken back on Good Friday and shows the field of the Brisbane to Gladstone Yacht race as they approached my position at Woody Point, they are strung out across the mouth of Bramble Bay, then they will pass in front of my position, head up the coastline to Redcliffe Jetty then bear to Starboard (Don't you just love that Nautical talk!! Shivvers me Timbers it does!)

This shot was taken just after the lead yachts had set their spinnakers (Triangles - You were wondering weren't you) and to me, made the shot worthwhile. If ever you get a chance to sail in these waters, I would like to recommend that you have a slightly smaller yacht and not follow this fleets course but instead have a sail up Pumicestone passage. That is a really nice area for small boats and has some quite good fishing spots, both in the channel and ashore. Try Googling Bribie Island and checking it out on Google earth or whatever.

For anyone really into sailing then you need to go further up the coast than Gladstone, to find what I have heard referred to sa the best sailing stretch in the world The Whitsundays, the ability to sail that area is great and oh so beautiful, in regard to the scenery that the 74 Islands that make it up, are like little individual paradises. This is one of those areas where I have encountered US citizens who have decided to stay and become Ockers, the region is addictive even if prone to the occasional Cyclone (Like a tornado only it spins in the right direction - must be where your drivers went wrong too - a Hemisphere thing)

8 comments:

Chesney said...

Wow, another beauty! I have never been sailing and would love to go (especially with that scenery)!! When are you going to invite us all to stay w/ you and Sally?? :)

barbs said...

I like the serenity of this picture. I would love to just sit there and watch. Nice shot

Linda S said...

The yachts are very clear when the photo is enlarged. Nice job on the focus.

DART said...

I didn't have to wonder...I live in sail city too! There's an international yacht race here at the end of the month (Swiftsure) that I hope to get pics from again this year. I love it when there are lots of colourful spinnakers together!

Clara said...

Beautiful shot, Ron. Sounds like a gorgeous place and I would love to sail in that water some day.

Rachel said...

The line of yachts is very nice, but I'm afraid the beautiful color of the water and sky distract me!

Anonymous said...

Ron, you really need to be working with the tourism council - you've got us all yearning to come on down for a visit with these photos and the vivid descriptions. Keep working on that "Shiver me Timbers" talk to - September 19th is International Talk Like a Pirate Day - check it out, it's a real holiday!

annalarssonphotography said...

Beautiful scenery!
I agree with the others.. I would just sit there and watch :)