Monday, April 6, 2009

#279-365 Shadows

I apologize for not having the correct name for this wily little fellow, but I had so much fun watching him outwitting his keepers, I didn't read it or ask. He is foxlike so lets call him that and he has Batlike ears, so that too. Ron's newly named "Bat Earred Foxlike Thingy" Good name eh?

This guy had been programmed for relocation to another enclosure, apparently for two weeks prior to me getting the shot. Obviously the keepers loved and were proud of his brains and accumen, at thwarting the plan stipulated by the chief veterinarian. Who had decreed that any animal due for relocation had to be acclimatized to the cage in which it would be transferred.

The keepers had had a cage big enough to carry a corgi (Twice the size of this guy) located in a strategic place in the enclosure for two weeks and twice a day they, "baited" it with his favourite foods, all to no avail, he had refused flatly to enter the cage even once, they even had him under CCTV with night vision and in spite of being patently concious of the food on offer, he stayed on the outside. We laughed about the predicament, but the girls said it was becoming a worry, as the move needed to be done to accommodate other animals in his cage.

I suggested that maybe they were being too cute, try a cardboard box reinforced with a few layers of duct tape and he won't suspect a trick, I bet he had seen traps before. Don't know if it was tried or not just a suggestion. I had the feeling that the two girls and the little fox were so close that they could have put a collar and lead on it and just walked him to ithiss new accommodation. It obviously loved them as it knew where they were at all times even when they were out of the enclosure, and didn't seem too happy at my talking to them.

The reason I stuck with shadows for this little guy is that this photo, (far and away the best I was able to get) shows just how hard he would be to see in any type of undergrowth, and quick like you wouldn't believe. i would spot him heading around the back of the cage headed right, focus on a clearing where he was headed and Nothing, Nil, Nada, Zilch. Then he would be glimpsed moving in the thicket at the other side of the enclosure. I asked twice if there were two of them which got a hearty laugh (both times) and a reply "No they are slick and tricky, keep at it."

So I spent about two hours getting this and about four far less satisfactory shots having a ball watch a real conman run rings around two pleasant, yet professional keepers who cared a great deal for their charge, and I loved every minute.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool looking little fox. Good use of light and shadow too.

Nan said...

What a cute little "Bat-eared fox-like thingy". I like him in the shadows with the undergrowth--looks more like a "wild" picture and less like a "zoo" picture. I also enjoyed your story of how clever he/she is.

Chesney said...

What a cute little whatch ya call it! Hmmmmm....Slick and tricky, sounds a little bit like you, no wonder you were fascinated by this guy!

Lorri said...

He is cute and smart and I'm glad he's receiving such good care. It's a good shot for the "shadows" theme because that says so much about the animal and his environment.

barbs said...

He is too cute Ron. I wonder if they ever got him moved? Your patience sure worked this time as it is an excellent wildlife shot.
I wonder what he is - I will have to ask my daughter-she is a wealth of information about animals.

Anonymous said...

Cute little critter! Gotta love those ears.

The mottled shadow is nice. If you shot in RAW you'll be able to recover a lot of the detail in the shadow area and in the cute little guy's face.

Brita said...

Beautiful shot and story. How lucky to be able to see something like that. Awesome place you are living in.

Ms Katy said...

Whatever his name is....he's cool. I like your shadows! Great photo.

Rachel said...

Great name and a great picture! I like the shadows lining his cute little body.

Anonymous said...

He's really cute! And nice shadows, Ron. I envy all the great animal shots you get.

Sherrie said...

Hi Danudins,
Great shadows on your bat eared fox! He looks very elusive. Thanks for the comment on the traffic light at my place. I'll try and remember that one! The cross was a drive by shot also. Not an angry thing! Your comment on both of my photos really gave me a giggle! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great evening!

Sherrie

Anonymous said...

He's got such a cute face! The shadows are super too. Your love of photographing animals really shows.

And yes, Ron, I did see you on the shore of Australia when I took my shot of the Unisphere, but it looked like you'd turned and "dropped trou" to moon me rather than just making funny faces as you said you were doing. Into that Wild Turkey again I see...

Candyce said...

Beautiful animal - you can see how the term sly like a fox comes - this little guy looks like he can get into a lot of trouble

Anonymous said...

What an impressive shot! The shadows make the whole shot IMHO! It looks as if it should be in a zoological publication! Fabulous Ron!

BobbieCoughlin said...

Looks like you were the one to capture the artful dodger.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fox to me....they are pretty smart, as this guy has shown. Like the way you shot this so that it looks more natural.

KimR. said...

"Bat Earred Foxlike Thingy"--I love the name you've given him!

Kathy said...

What an interesting little creature he is. Those ears are HUGE! lol

~Val said...

I think its a Kit Fox? He's awfully cute!

Anonymous said...

Coming by late here, so there isn't much left to say except I think you did a stupendous job of capturing this little fellow, regardless of his name. Good composition too.

Linda aka Elemobe said...

Such a sweet guy and the shadows work really well.

Kim said...

I love the lighting and shadows in this image! You got a great capture here!

Anonymous said...

"Bat-earred, Fox-like Thingy" is a great name for this fellow. I think this is one of your best shots so for, Ron. You made the right decision on the shadows - they add to the intensity of the shot. Really, really, really well done!

Linda S said...

He is a cute little guy.

mljrbg said...

Great shot of the fox and great shadows. Nice story.

Edmund said...

Ron, Great shot. With those big ears he can here you a mile away.

DART said...

Cute little critter whatever his name! Love how this photo turned out!

annalarssonphotography said...

Great shot of this little fox! Good use of light and shadow too!