Tuesday, January 13, 2009

#162-365 Jump, Leap, Bouncing


The main figure here really qualifies for the theme, but I would like to draw your attention to the X-Ray style of painting, both of the Roo and the stingray. It has been explained to me that this type of drawing is multifunctional in that it depicts the animals but also the parts of the beast that may or may not be eaten. Alas I cannot decode the parts mentioned above but I believed the individual who told me. Some restrictions differ from district to district, ie. In the Northern Territory maybe the forearms can't be eaten but in Victoria they could, much like respecting Totem Taboos practiced by many ancient tribes, for instance Jews and Arabs amongst others refrain from eating Pork or it's derivatives, same deal.
I admit to cropping out the small amount of Rainbow Serpent from above the Roo (My Bad) but it is evident (just) just above the stingray.

12 comments:

jo said...

Once again, thanks for the explanation. How fascinating to learn a little about an old culture so far away from here.

Chesney said...

I am really enjoying your art and your explanation behind the art, man, if you would have done all this yourself you would have been rich! Ha! Looking forward to tomorrow's tour..

Nan said...

What an interesting way to learn about another culture. I'm enjoying your series.

terricreates said...

All of the art is so interesting and seem to be great storytellers. Great capture of it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Really great job, Ron. That is a beautiful image not to mention the original art. I'm glad you cropped part because it really gives a lot of detail to the remaining two animals.

Clicking on this image to see the larger version is worth it!

DART said...

definitely adds to an otherwise boring fence! great colours and I just love how the art has a story to tell!

Sunny said...

Fascinating artwork, and most interesting place to paint it on! (I like your theme interpretation, too!)

Anonymous said...

Love the colors - and the fact that you are featuring the Aboriginal art.

mljrbg said...

Very interesting photo and explanation. Thanks for taking the time to explain everything.

Anonymous said...

The image is made even more interesting by your info! Thanks!

Madelaine

MevetS said...

And I thought you were focusing on the jumping frogs!

Nice shot.

Anonymous said...

This is so fun, like having a personal tour guide to an amazing culture. Great images.