Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ron's Freebie

This is just a Potpurri of lorikeet shots I took today, the first shows the scene that Sally called me to the door to see. We had thrown out two or three sourdough crusts after breakfast this morning and although the Indian Minors had had a go at them, before hand, these guys were taking their quota.

I raced back grabbed my D70s with the 70-300mm lens on iy and snuck out the back and quietly siddled up to the car park area near our fromt door. This is the best shot and shows two types of lorikeets, the Rainbow which you are familiar with (there was a pair of them but they took turns, but they were joined by a pair of Speckle Breasted Lorikeets, which I had seen around but they are even more skittish than the Rainbows and you normally only catch a glimpse of them as the skidaddle. The first shot was a focal length of 95mm with an f/stop of f5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/100sec. as it was out in the clear.

The second shot was a focal length of 150mm with an f/stop of f4.2 with a shutter speed of 1/200sec. as it was in the shade of the tree branches I used the flash. The camera then started to reset to bulb and wouldn't allow me to continue shooting so I pleaded with the two birds (that you can see if you look relly close) to stay where they were until I came back, then went barreling back inside to get my backup D70s with the 18-55mm lens attached, swapped the memory card over the back outside.

To my suprise both were still where I left them (The neighbors must think I'm a nut cause I thanked them profusely while I adjusted the camera settings). The third and fourth shots had a focal length of 55mm with an f/stop of f7.1 and a shutter speed of 1/320sec. and again as it was in the shade of the tree branches I used the flash. The reason I wanted to publish them all is that, there were a few new experiences for me, and I got so excited by them that I just wanted to share.

Firstly I wasn't aware that they ate anything but pollen, the sourdough must have had a real appeal as it was only crust and they had to work to get it. The second was seeing the two variety of Lorikeet feeding together and admittedly when it got down to just one piece of crust, they clashed and the smaller Speckle Breasted Lorikeets with drew, but I can't believe they let me get within five feet without taking flight. And the third and most surprising was that the pair who retired to the tree not only let me get close enough to take the shots I did but stayed there while the idiot cameraman ran off to get a working camera.

The only processiong was a slight adjustment using the Enhance tool lighting adjustment tool and a little cropping to make the shots uniform for the post. I hope all those who read my blog and comment will share in the joy these shots gave me, and accept them as a thank you from me for all your support. (Aren't the little buggers hard to see even while Rainbow Coloured!)


19 comments:

Christina, Sweden said...

well they have camouflage..looks almost like coloured spots in the trees. I would not mind having some of them here outdoors in Sweden

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting your shots! I still find it amazing that you can walk out your front door and see these beautiful birds! The bird offerings in my neighborhood are pretty paltry in comparison. I'm glad you shared the whole set with us but to my eye the middle shot in the bottom row is the best of the bunch, with the bird tack sharp and perfectly exposed. Well done.

jo said...

What bright and beautiful birds you have.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to witness your excitement over being able to film these beauties! And they are beauties. Nice of them to cooperate. And so what if they neighbors take a dim view of your passion for photography! The things we do to get a shot! :D Perhaps a scrap of bread thrown out on a daily basis will get around in the gossip circles of the bird kingdom which would result in even more visitors?

Chesney said...

LOVE these images, and THANK YOU for sharing them! I would love those bursts of color flying around my area! I can see why you were so thrilled (BTW, did you know that the only reason they stuck around was because they are with the Systers and were watching YOU)! :)

Anonymous said...

What a nice series of shots, Ron! Isn't it great when the subjects cooperate? Of course the bread crust bribes may have helped!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those Ron. They are pretty birds! Love the blue and greens.

DART said...

and I'd like to see these here too! Their vibrant colours would keep me photographing them constantly! I especially love that 3rd shot where the beautiful birdie is not so camouflaged.

annalarssonphotography said...

You are lucky to have so beautiful birds around you!
Great shots :)

Anonymous said...

wonderful colors! lorikeets are really beautiful birds. nice captures, ron!

mljrbg said...

They are gorgeous. Their colors are so brilliant. I must say I really would like to see the photos of you running back and forth to get your camera!!

Brita said...

Beautiful birds! And well behaved =). I wouldn't mind having theme outdoors here in Finland too.
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Got a bit nervous when I saw the title that said you were giving out Freebies... wasn't sure what we were in for here! Quite a treat - love the Lorikeet series - such an exotic looking bird. The middle one is my favorite of the tree shots. Good job!

lijola said...

These are truly beautiful birds. Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Anonymous said...

Love your bird shots Ron! I agree with Julie that it's amazing to have these right outside your door.
The colors you've captured are so vivid. Great shots!

~Val said...

Wow - what cool birds to have flying around! Here in chilly northern IL, we'd only see these in a zoo or pet shop. Nice captures, too. Love the bright colors!

MevetS said...

I love your shots of these birds. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! And lucky us for getting to see these amazing birds. Great shots and as always great stories.

Nan said...

Stunningly beautiful--both the birds and the pictures! Thanks for sharing.