Friday, September 18, 2009

Background on Mount Cootha Shoot




Wanting to get something no matter what I thought I would take everything, I needed including my first camera since childhood, My trusty old Nikon E3100 and I used it to capture this and a few other images. I wish I had taken a folding chair but that is another story.
As you can see I have failed this camera when it comes to maintenance as the Motes visible on the first shot are obviously dust, but the effect is quite interesting, in that 1st photo the guy up in the top right of shot with his head Haled by one of the motes is standing where I first intended positioning myself. The last shot shows where I ended up both for shade during the boiling hot end of winter day and advice from my new friend Morgan who owns the Canon that you can see to the left of my trusty old D70s. These shots were taken after dusk but just before the Fireworks got underway, the crowds built up expotentially from that moment on and I would not have had room to turn around to get these shots once the show started. Told you there were failures as well as successes at this first Fireworks shoot - Next time bring a chair TOO!

Some people go to any length to get THE photograph!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting series of shots - despite the dust motes I like the first one because of the sihouettes of the cameras on tripods up on the terrace.

Esther said...

These are shots that only come once in a lifetime! I wasn't impressed by the small thumbnails, but I enlarged them and was won over with the detail that wasn't available in the smaller thumbs! Incredible!!! Thanks for sharing these with us....

Anonymous said...

Been liking your series. Nice shots and information about this event. Glad you managed to find a spot for yourself for this last sections of shots. Love the candid shots of life in "everyday" in Australia. I particularly like the silhouettes of those other photographers trying to get in good positions for shots just like you were.

In the second photo, I like the "star burst" effect the lights create on building framework. Really makes the lighting pop.

Of course, the camera is always "the thing." Your new friend's camera doesn't appear any worse for wear and drool.

Chesney said...

I think at an end of a session I end up w/ more bad photos than good, if I can get lucky for just 1 shot - I did good! :) These actually are good pics, I wouldn't be so quick to disguard them as bad!! Good thing you got this shot when you did! :) I still tell, the broomstick is the answer!

lijola said...

Great event to document and what a display of true dedication to the effort! I like the star burst, too, and the orb.

Anonymous said...

I think you've gotten THE best 3 shots + that fabulous orb. By the way, some might say that all those circles in the first photo are 'orbs' but not like the ones you make. See http://www.theorbzone.com/whatareorbs.htm if you're interested in more info.