Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dirt Pat II






Strange weather seems to be on everyone's tongues theses days, but yesterday on Australia Central to Northern Eastern Seaboard Not only was it on our tongues but was getting stuck in the back of our throats and clogging our eyes and noses too.
The first two shots showed what the day looked like as they were taken around 1pm the first looking West and the Second looking North, I used my Nikon 3100 P&S as I did not want the grit to get on my DSLR Lenses. (Hence the frames) and I think it did a creditable job.

The next 4 were taken around 3pm and were the first opportunity I had ever taken to take photos of the Sun, albeit reflected in the waters laying at the bottom of the storm water canal, those familiar with this blog have all seen before. The first of these was in almost still conditions and the subsequent ones showed the way in which the gusting wind was ripping around, which to my eye is a couple of interesting effects all on their own.

This last shot was taken around 5.30pm and was the first time ever I had pointed a camera directly at the Sun, (Dust Filters do work) please also take note of the bird caught on the wing in this shot, earlier in the day as I was scrambling around the canals getting my shots I encountered quite a number of birds whose whole day seemed out of kilter, they seemed confused and hugged the ground, and one of the mickey birds I have often ranted about even seemed inclined to come to me for help, but in the end it's wildness overcame it's disorientation and it scrambled of (on The Ground) and hid under a bush. I feel sorry for wildlife in these sort of circumstances. Yhought you would enjoy seeing our Dust Storm from an Unconventional Point of View.

6 comments:

Chesney said...

Great time line going here - love your dirt! :)

lijola said...

Like the framing you selected for this series. Very interesting (out west, when I was a tot, we'd have horrific dust storms, but I don't think they compared with this).

Anonymous said...

We heard about this dust storm from my husband's sister who lives in Sydney. Everything there was covered in read dust.

John said...

Dirty job well done

Anonymous said...

That'll teach ya to pick on me and Tammy! Behave or we'll send another one your way!!! I'm glad to see you made the most of our "gift" though - you did manage to get some nice "gritty" shots!

Esther said...

I was wondering how you fared in that dusty weather. I'm glad I finally found time to look at your posting on the blog.

I got a few wonderful photos of the sun when we had wildfires to the north and south of us.