Friday, November 20, 2009

Kakadu Photos As is expected


The main reason people go to Kakadu National Park is for the Crocodiles. Here are two shots of the first one I saw, and I snapped it before the guide announced his presence, as soon as the announcement was made and everyone's attention was on him, he disappeared as I have shown in the second shot. I will show more Crocs with time but can't wait to show you a few of the stunning birds that abounded in the area while we were there. It is the build up before the Monsoon so water levels are low and the birds congregate in vast numbers. We only cruised the Yellow Waters Billabong and a couple of miles both up and down stream, and my guesstamation of the number of Magpie Geese that we saw would have been in excess of 400,000. (some shots in the next few days to show what I mean. The cultyral aspects are of extreme importance too, for a bit of an insight goto kakadu.com.au as this is an institution run by the indigenous Australians in an effort to retain their culture, and provide provide a finacial basis for doing so when the mining leases close own and royalties cease. I might add that the current royalties are being turned over to the upkeep and improvements to the park, and should see a sustainable future for the locals.

4 comments:

Chesney said...

Wow, one look at you and that croc was gone, he was even scared.... LOL

What a cool picture, I am really looking forward to my virtual vaction! Keep traveling so we can see your area! :)

lijola said...

Great close shot. They are amazingly quick!

BobbieCoughlin said...

I'm glad you snapped the crocodile and not the other way around!

MevetS said...

It's deja vu all over again!