Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Now for something important!


Today is the 149th Running of "The Race that Stops a Nation"! The Melbourne Cup. The photo above was taken at the Redcliffe Paceway, where I went to investigate what they had planned for today and I am taking this shot back to see how they like it. The significance of the title "Bell Lap" for those not in the know is that the last lap is signified by the ringing of a bell as the trotters pass the finish post for the penultimate time in that race. The horse shown in front here, running with all four hooves off the ground, eventually went on to win in a close fought finish, but I felt this was a better shot and doubled in meaning as it was taken one day before the Cup!

The Melbourne Cup is a thoroughbred race over 2 miles and my belief is that if a horse is in it the horse is capable of winning, my personal choice is one called Crime Scene, but I always back outsiders and thereby rarely win. One or two interesting facts - Next Year marks the Sesquicentenary of this race - 150 runnings, and a British and an American Author are both out here to write a book about it, the Yank has to get through that one of our Training Heros is Bart Cummings, (Who at 84 years of age has the favourite (Last Years Winner) and two other runners in this year) but who is not related to Bart Simpson (AT ALL).
Another think I find interesting is that only 4,000 people watched the running of the first Melbourne Cup but this year they estimate a worldwide audience of 700 Million will watch it "Live" quiet a jump. This came close to being my historic post but I am an Army man needless to say!.
Enjoy, I hope you back the winner!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fine shot. I'm sure anyone at the track will love it. What sort of processing did you do on this?

BobbieCoughlin said...

Great action--I can almost taste the dust, smell the horses and heard the thundering of the hooves.

Clara said...

Great action shot. Makes me feel like I am there.

Anonymous said...

Nice shot Ron, but 700 million???? Sounds like a fish story to me.

lijola said...

HDR? This is a terrific action shot. I'm sure they'll like it.

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Boomer must be more behind the times than I am, He forgot live streaming, I Googled the figure and got THIS LINK ( http://www.melbourne-cup-live.com/category/Melbourne-Cup-News/Melbourne-Cup-Live-Stream--how-to-watch-the-Melbourne-Cup-2009-live-200910220006/ ) which is where I goy my info from

Anonymous said...

Nice capture - but I can see how Boomer would question the numbers - not a soul to be seen in this shot!