Friday, November 27, 2009

More Kakadu Bird types


Two disimilar Birds of the Kakadu area, the first is a Cattle Egret, you see them at the feet of all types of grazing animals, ready to clean up any worm or insect stirred up by those plodding hooves, got to be honest though, I forgot that this was the name given us by the Tour Gide (for which I apologize) but it was a lucky thing cause when I looked it up I found out that the orange colour on the head and neck indicates a breeding bird. The non-breeding birds are all white and the juveniles have a dark gray beak, Lucky aren't I! The second shot shows a pair of White Breasted Fish Eagles who seemed content to occupy the branches of that tree for the full hour and a half we spent out on the South Alligator River, I lingered on them for a while but could not catch this pair on the wing, hopefully some of the other shots included some of their kin!

4 comments:

Chesney said...

I hope you know how lucky you are that you get to observe these wild birds in nature, I am so totally jealous! Fabulous captures - both of these birds are beauties in my book!

Sherrie said...

Hi Ron,
Great Shots! We have a bird here that looks a lot like the white egret only it's gray. It's a water bird also, but can't remember the name of it. I'll remember it later when it's too late to tell you. LOL!! Have a great day!

Sherrie
http://sherrie-myphotosgoodorbad.blogspot.com/2009/11/248-of-365barren.html

Lorri said...

At last! A bird we also have here in the midwest US. We get a few cattle egrets through here although they are much more common south of us.
I think what we would consider a fishing eagle around here would be an Osprey. Again, very common in the more southern states.

lijola said...

Cattle egrets must be everywhere! Love the White breasted fish eagle. We have osprey, but I pretty sure they are a different bird than you fish eagle. Cool!