Monday, November 30, 2009

Yet more Kakadu Birds




The top two photos show some White Breasted Fish Eagles on the wing and the lower two show the Whistling Kites on the wing (and perched). The guide went out of her way to show us that the silhouette of both birds differ in so far as the Eagle has a straight wing line and the Kite has a bent or broken wing line. Being raptors though they are the top of the food chain so their numbers (even in Kakadu) are not all that great, and the kites in particular will generally only congragate in large numbers when there is a fire giving them a chance to pick up slow or fleeing rodents and the like. In any event they look just SOOOO good on the wing - I wanna do that!

4 comments:

lijola said...

Sounds like you had a knowledgeable guide and these are great shots on the wing.

Anonymous said...

I want to too, great silhouttes.

Chesney said...

You taught me something new, did not know about the wing lines, I will have to look at that more closely the next time I see one flying..

MevetS said...

Hey Ron, looks like you should ask Santa for a longer lens too! (I use a 100 - 400 mm zoom).

Again, nice shots of the birds. I envy both the birds (for soaring) and you for being there.