Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lorikeet Love Ritual??







I will be honest I lost the ability to tell Male and Female humans apart at a distance early in the sixties so please don't expeect me to be able to tell the difference between male and female Lorikeets except to say that the behaviour of the one displaying appears distinctly male to me.

We had just experienced a fairly good rain shower around noon and when it eased up I rushed out to put out the Garbage for the weekly and fortnightly (Recycle) pick up tomorrow(Domesticated little sod aren't I?), when I noticed this bedraggled looking pair perched on my neighbours clothesline looking miserable. Mad rush back inside grab camera, rushed didn't check settings so first five were a little over exposed but the last was good settings.

The first taken through the clothesline was due to their normal skittishness, but they were drenched as you can see, and didn't move much as I moved around photographing them, at first it was just two then another couple appeared and the large brightly coloured fellow went into full display, he was really effective but I guess bonding with these birds is fairly strong, cause he got no takers although a fair amount of interest. Thought that you would like a break from the flowers.

With regard to the weather I am with Einstein, - It's All Relative! I spent the last 15 years of my Army service in Darwin and there you learned to sleep in 32degree celcius heat with an absolute minimum in all the time I was there of 17 Degree C. So it may not be cold to you Innuit, but to us Territorians, it's bloody freezing - So There!

15 comments:

Chesney said...

What great color! If I lived there I would be sitting outside looking for these all day long! Great pictures (and I am sure you had fun taking them)! ;)

jo said...

Nice series of lorikeets! The last one is my favorite -- let's ignore the showoff...

Anonymous said...

Great series! I like the second one best.

Anonymous said...

Great series, Ron. Every time I see your bird pictures, I marvel at the colors! Wow!

Sherrie said...

Hi Ron,
Beautiful Birds! So much color on them! I'm with you, can't tell the male or the female apart! Have a great day!

Sherrie

KimR. said...

It's amazing that the lorikeets just fly in the wild that way, but then again I'm sure you think it's crazy that we have them in our zoos! Nice shots!

Anonymous said...

Nice photos of the lorikeets. Wow, what great color.

tterlyn said...

Awesome shots. ditto!

Anonymous said...

I thought you'd learned to control that peeping tom stuff and here you are peeping at their intimate moments! You're getting quite good at capturing these winged critters - pretty soon you'll have them eating out of your hand.

Anonymous said...

How fun to have such amazing birds in your life. Nice series.

Clara said...

These are beautiful pictures, Ron, but let them have their privacy.

mljrbg said...

Gorgeous images!! They are so colorful. This blog sure makes us rush around a lot loking for our cameras!!

Candyce said...

Love the colors on these beauties

DART said...

Can't get over their colour...they are gorgeous and would blend in perfectly in my home! : )

Anonymous said...

These are so colorful and the action sequence is brilliant!