Monday, November 23, 2009

Another Rock Art Figure


This figure was described as "Namarrgon - Lightning Man" by our guide, and is one of the main characters of the Dreamtime. We were a bit early in the season so I wasn't able to show you the lightning displays that had held myself and a score of other drain dead "Soldiers" enthralled for hours most nights of the wet season in the "Top End" as Darwin and surrounding areas are called.
Lightning is BIG up here, we used to sit on Emery Point on the Eastern shore of Darwin Harbour, looking West over 2 miles of water and about 18 miles of the Cox Peninsula towards the 400+ miles of Beagle Gulf, which I have been informed has a sea bottom of Iron Ore which attracts the best Lightning I have ever seen. I have seen Sheet Lightning wider than my hand span with my am held at full length from my face, if that was on the near coast of Beagle Gulf (20 miles away) parallex error would make the strikes actual width around 30 feet wide, if it is out in the middle of BG then the sheets must be miles wide and that is awe inspiring just to contemplate. Obviously I wasn't informed too much about the significance of "Lightning Man" but suffice it to say the Elders who drew him had seen the same lightning strikes I have just described and for them to envision such a creation character, there must be very deep rooted significance for the Bininj! Try googling kakadu.com.au if you want to look for mor info on the Aborigine Bininj (People). HERE is a link that the tourist commision has put out that shows a small part of the diversity of the Aboriginal Peoples!

2 comments:

Chesney said...

And you call the Systers witches? Any place that can produce lightning like that (and has a lightning man)has to have it's own magical powers....what a coincedence you were there! :)

Anonymous said...

Fascinating! What fine stories and a fine connection for you. Nice shot of what must have been tricky light.